Transmission Campaign Director
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We work to accelerate the move to 100% clean energy and electrified transportation in the U.S. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, renewable energy, electric vehicles, and more. AEE represents more than 100 companies in the advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate in states, in wholesale electricity markets, and at the federal level for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that speed the energy transition and expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services.
AEE seeks a smart, innovative, and politically savvy Director to join AEE’s policy and campaign team and lead our multi-state engagement on transmission. The Director will lead this growth initiative for AEE: developing campaign strategy and executing across multiple states and project teams. This campaign presents an exciting opportunity for a politically minded advocate and organizer to lead and execute a successful strategy with AEE membership across AEE working groups including wholesale markets, west, east, and central regions.
There is no silver bullet to reaching 100% clean energy as a country. It will require maximizing the use of demand side resources, as well as the buildout of utility scale clean energy resources and the needed transmission infrastructure to connect the nation’s clean energy resources with its energy demand. This campaign will build support for transmission at all levels of government that is responsive to local objectives and existing state policies. It will include a recognition of the critical role of distributed energy resources in achieving full decarbonization and ensuring that needed transmission buildout will be cost-effective and politically sustainable. The campaign director will work collaboratively with existing project teams and in building out new project teams that cover:
- Western states: Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada
- Eastern states: Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Virginia
- Central states: Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin
- Wholesale markets and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
AEE is seeking a highly energetic and self-starting professional who brings a background in issue advocacy and campaigns at the state or regional level. The Director will work collaboratively, serving as the campaign lead and facilitating campaign and policy work across multiple project teams under the direction of Managing Directors. Candidates should be politically savvy, creative, and flexible, with the ability to develop and execute strategies, working in multiple venues with diverse stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent organizing skills and ability to find common ground both with a diverse corporate membership and external stakeholders. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel to meet with AEE members, coalition allies and stakeholders, and public officials.
- Lead the development and execution of a multi-state transmission campaign as described above, including establishing and refining strategic priorities in each state and working along staff to oversee the execution of the campaign.
- Be a central team member in the buildout of the transmission campaign team, approximately five to seven new hires, and oversee training and day to day skills development of that team.
- Work collaboratively with AEE team members on developing and implementing strategies to meet short and long-term policy objectives in key states and wholesale markets as part of AEE’s policy portfolio to expand transmission development.
- Work with AEE members to develop policy positions and reach consensus on policy positions in key states and on transmission-related issues. Facilitate member calls and lead policy discussions to coalesce member input and prioritize areas of interest and engagement.
- Ensure that member engagement opportunities such as direct decision maker engagement through lobby days and candidate education, earned media, and expert testimony are highly impactful across the campaign portfolio. Participate in legislative, regulatory rulemaking, and administrative processes, as needed.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with coalition partners, philanthropy, allies, and key legislative, regulatory and administrative staff.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 30%, post pandemic) to targeted states for staff development, advocacy days, meetings with key allies and stakeholders, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of AEE.
- Bachelor’s and/or Advanced degree, Political Science, Public Policy, or Economics preferred or applicable comparable experience
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in and engagement in the clean energy or transportation sector
- Political campaign or organizing experience
- Experience overseeing and developing staff with less than three years of experience
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to operate independently, making decisions consistent with AEE’s mission/vision
- Handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage members, customers, and funders, and sell AEE and its value proposition to those audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
Special Application Instructions
Applicants should include a current resume and cover letter expressing interest in this position, organization, and description of relevant experience.
Job type: Full Time; Remote
Location: Flexible, but contiguous U.S. location required
Start Date: August 1st, 2022
Salary: Starting at $115,000
Advanced Energy Economy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization (“DEIJ”). We also incorporate these values into our mission of making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We know that varied perspectives and a commitment to social justice are needed to succeed in making the United States an advanced energy economy. We commit to building and supporting an inclusive workforce that represents different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints.