Location: Location flexible; timezone compatible with GMT-5
Working hours: Flexible: either 4 or 5 days a week depending on contract type
Contract Type: Both full-time employment and consultancy contracts will be considered
Annual salary: USD$75,000-$95,500 (depending on contract type, experience and location)
Reporting to: SBTN Marketing & Communications Director
Candidate level: Experienced non-manager
Who we are:
Led by a cooperative of environmental NGOs, the Science Based Targets Network (SBTN) is a global initiative empowering companies and cities to set ambitious, science-based targets to address their environmental impacts. SBTN is part of the Global Commons Alliance: a growing coalition of scientists, philanthropists, businesses, civil society groups and innovators collaborating across the climate and nature communities and beyond. Its mission is to mobilize citizens, companies, cities and countries to accelerate systems change, and become better guardians of the global commons.
SBTN is in search of a Technical Communications Lead to take a pivotal role in effectively communicating the technical aspects of SBTN’s work primarily to its corporate, partner and other stakeholder audiences. They will be part of SBTN’s Network Hub sitting at the intersection of Marketing & Communications, Technical Development and Corporate Engagement.
Through the development and execution of a technical communications plan, in line with SBTN's broader communications strategy, the successful candidate’s key responsibilities will be to:
- Reinforce SBTN as an authoritative voice within the corporate sustainability space. Focusing on key topical themes to communicate to a corporate audience as well as following the pulse of emerging sustainability topics, they will develop timely external communications highlighting SBTN’s POVs (e.g. blog posts, op-eds).
- Distill complex technical information into plain-language narratives ensuring that it is user-centric, compelling, and actionable and resonates effectively with corporate end-users and partners. This includes the development of bite-sized content to bring this narrative to life such as infographics, short case studies, FAQs as well as pitch decks for partner and corporate engagement. They will also provide a consultative role for corporate guidance materials that support the technical methods - including the upcoming Corporate Manual.
- Implement quality assurance process to maintain consistency in communication approach of technical content as well as accuracy and relevance of technical content and terminology (e.g. definitions, glossary) across SBTN and partner materials. Includes review role of technical methods and associated materials to ensure cross-cutting consistency in communication approach of technical content.
- Coordinate with SBTN’s technical hubs (led by NGO partners) and their corresponding communications teams to develop holistic communications plans as well as provide consultative support on technical hub-led communications. More broadly serve as SBTN’s point of contact to review partner-led technical publications.
- Act as a central liaison within SBTN to fulfill priority inbound speaking engagements either representing SBTN themselves or managing the identification of appropriate SBTN spokesperson.
- Focus of communications efforts will be on corporate science-based targets. Additionally the communications lead will provide support to the cities work-stream 1-2 times a year in preparation for SBTN publishing initial guidance in 2025 for cities to set science-based targets for nature.
The following offers an aspirational view of our ideal candidate profile. However, we are encouraging candidates from an array of backgrounds to apply.
Experience and qualifications
- Academic background and work experience should reflect general ability to communicate at the intersection of technical, environmental and business domains.
- Proven experience in corporate sustainability writing with demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Excellent communication (written and speaking) in English with professional proficiency in other languages highly desirable.
Skills and desired personal traits
- An engaging and competent communicator with the ability to develop and tailor written communications to a wide range of audiences, achieving a balance between creativity and technical precision.
- Deep experience working with a business audience within a corporate sustainability context.
- Possess strong public speaking skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and engage diverse audiences in various settings, including conferences, workshops, and internal meetings.
- Strong collaborative spirit, valuing teamwork across various functions.
- A dynamic self-motivator, with the ability to work independently and remotely; thriving in a fast-paced growing environment.
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
- Adaptive and versatile, capable of switching between strategic thinking and project execution.
- Ability to work seamlessly across different priority areas, and enjoy collaborating with a wide range of both internal and external stakeholders.
Terms and conditions
SBTN is hosted by Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. Employment contract would therefore be with Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors.
At certain times of the year travel to team meetings will be required. These meetings are sometimes in the U.S., sometimes in Europe and occasionally in other parts of the world.
To apply for the post
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: Arabella Stickels, firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, we request a writing sample that demonstrates your ability to communicate complex technical and sustainability concepts in a clear, concise, and engaging manner. This could be a report, an article, a press release, or any other relevant piece of writing where you have distilled complex information preferably for a corporate audience. The sample should not exceed 2,500 words.
Please ensure that they are sent as PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name resume” and “your name writing example”. Please put “SBTN Technical Communications Lead” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for application is 3 March 2024
Interviews will take place remotely.