As the Sustainability Specialist you will combine your passion for the renewable energy, the circular economy, climate change, and the environment. This role will have a dual function of contributing to and reporting on Driscoll’s supply chain sustainability efforts while also providing support to the Packaging Development project portfolio.
You will support Driscoll’s in 3 key areas.
- First, advise on Driscoll’s development and deployment of its renewable energy strategy including an electric fleet transition.
- Second, assist the Sustainable Packaging Taskforce through engaging with recycling stakeholders, material evaluation, and life cycle assessment.
- Third, support the development and reporting of Driscoll’s annual global greenhouse gas (GHG) footprint for packaging and facility operations for internal and external reporting.
This Specialist will need to be resourceful and collaborate seamlessly with diverse stakeholders, both internal and external, to determine and execute on business needs. Responsibilities will include project management, reporting, research, financial analysis, and project support to complete execution of the program. Academic and work experience in the fields of environmental sciences, life cycle assessment, greenhouse gas emissions, renewable energy, is preferred.
The Sustainability Specialist will:
- Partner on developing a roadmap for sustainability programs that will achieve Driscoll’s targets.
- Evaluate and advise on renewable energy technological opportunities and support renewable energy project development and implementation
- Manage external resources to develop programs and implement solutions in the renewable energy space.
- Conduct life cycle assessments on existing and new packaging, advise on packaging strategy progress toward recyclable materials.
- Introduce new technologies, and materials to the cross-functional teams and recommend bet solutions that can guide product development.
- Support Driscoll’s recycling initiatives and goals with internal and external stakeholders.
- Conduct and collaborate on data collection and analysis of greenhouse gas emissions, and provide monthly status to the executive management.
- Develop solutions to problems and/or project needs.
- Domestic and international travel required up to 15%.
- Perform duties as instructed by supervisor*.
- *This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job’s responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving.
- Bachelor’s degree, in Environmental Science, Energy Systems Management, or a related field and 5 years’ experience; or a MS degree and 3 years’ of experience.
- Bilingual – Spanish/English is a plus.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions.
- Strong analytical skills – the ability to analyze, track, and report quantitative data, including proficiency in data wrangling, exploration and effective visualization (R, Python or similar).
- 3-5 years’ experience with renewable energy reporting, strategies, and procurement.
- 2-3 years’ experience with greenhouse gas footprinting and the GHG Protocol a plus.
- 1-2 years’ experience with GaBi, EcoInvent, OpenLCA, SimaPro, GaBi, Trayak Compass or Sustainable Minds.
- General understanding of packaging materials and recycling infrastructure a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects on time, thrive in a fast-paced environment, be a self-starter and team collaborator.
- Strong technology skills and the ability to learn ERP systems.
Compensation & Benefits:
The following information is provided in good faith as a general description of the salary range and benefits for the position posted. The actual compensation offered to the successful candidate is dependent upon experience, skills, education, work location, internal pay equity, and other objective job-related factors.
Salary Range estimated for the Sustainability Analyst: $63,500 to $89,000 USD.
Driscoll’s is committed to a culture of care and offers an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. Other benefits include: 401(k) with employer match, profit-sharing participation, paid sick time, paid vacation, paid personal and family care leave, and a free Employee Assistance Program (EAP). More detailed information regarding the benefits package, will be shared during the application process.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.