Sustainability Engineering Manager
Sustainability Engineering Manager
At Rheem, we are looking for a strategic professional with core engineering competencies, superb analytical skills, and proven project management expertise to support our global sustainability initiative. She/He will serve as the point person for enterprise-level product and process sustainability initiatives, with a specific focus on influencing cross-functional stakeholders to advance sustainability priorities. This role will manage one direct report (Enterprise Sustainability Analyst) that will assist with the responsibilities tied to product and process sustainability. The Sustainability Engineering Manager will report directly to the Director, Sustainability and Brand Strategy.
A successful candidate will demonstrate strong self-starter characteristics and the ability to collaborate across various internal functions including R&D/engineering, product management, facilities, operations, sourcing, marketing, and finance, as well as with external consultants and strategic partners. She/He will be the primary person responsible for standardizing existing product and process sustainability practices across the enterprise and initiating new sustainability projects that complement overall business objectives. She/He will oversee projects including product sustainability impacts & classification, zero waste to landfill & carbon footprint reduction in our global manufacturing, and product life cycle assessments. She/He will apply engineering principles to conduct site audits for energy efficiency and process optimization projects and forecast emissions reductions that may arise from such projects. The Sustainability Engineering Manager will be responsible for tracking, analyzing, and reporting manufacturing and product footprint data for both internal strategy and marketing purposes.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to influence at all levels of the organization and serve as a strategic sustainability advisor to senior leadership. He or she is results-oriented, enjoys leading a variety of projects with minimal supervision, and is skilled at liaising with external consultants. She/He will provide oversight and direction for the Enterprise Sustainability Analyst, including setting goals, assigning tasks, and managing workload to promote global success across product and process sustainability. The Sustainability Engineering Manager will guide the performance of their direct report to ensure projects are successfully completed on time and on budget. This role will also support other sustainability initiatives within Rheem utilizing the candidate’s analytical, statistical, and quantitative skillset to quantify environmental and business impacts.
Do you possess excellent analytical skills, project management, and leadership skills? Are you passionate about connecting the dots between sustainability and increased product sales and market share? Then apply today to manage our product and process sustainability efforts, securing Rheem as the sustainability leader of the air and water industry.
Job Title: Sustainability Engineering Manager
Job Location: Sandy Springs, GA- 30328
Shift: Day Job/ Hybrid position/
*This role can be virtual as long as you are willing to travel ~10% of the time. This would be to the Sandy Springs office at least a couple of times a year for in-person team collaboration but also traveling globally to select manufacturing sites for waste audits, etc.
Employee Status: Full time
WHAT YOU’LL DO :
● Build and maintain strong cross-functional relationships across the global businesses with sustainability ambassadors
● Serve as the engineering sustainability subject matter expert for Rheem, liaising with functional representatives and leadership to facilitate strategic, actionable plans to achieve Rheem’s 2025 sustainability goals
● Develop, implement, and manage efficient systems to track sustainability metrics including, but not limited to manufacturing and products—This role so sounds like operational excellence in the plant set up is that correct? Can you elaborate this?
● Perform in-depth analysis of operational improvement impacts and resulting emissions reductions using spreadsheets, databases, and custom programming --
● Work closely with global manufacturing sites to ensure sustainability audits (e.g.: waste characterization) are performed in accordance with industry standards
● Identify, vet, and recommend external consultants for support in complex, large sustainability efforts
● Present sustainability data and metrics to senior leadership to obtain buy-in for integrating sustainable development into core processes and decision-making.
● Liaise with internal functional leaders and SMEs to ensure that emerging sustainability-related issues are identified and evaluated, and business strategies and initiatives modified, as necessary to close any gaps and create long-term value.
● Analyze and present sustainability-related industry, economic, technological, and competitor trends and make recommendations regarding Rheem’s sustainability strategy
WHAT YOU NEED
● Bachelor’s degree in engineering (mechanical, industrial, chemical, etc.) or life sciences (biology, chemistry, environmental sciences, etc.)
● An advanced management degree and a minimum of 5 years experience of wide-ranging sustainability/environmental consulting, product and operational sustainability, environmental science, and/or engineering roles
● Familiarity with Green House Gas accounting, life cycle assessment, and environmental management standards
● Experience with global manufacturing companies and/or companies with geographically and functionally diverse operations
● Proven experience successfully managing large, complex projects across multiple global businesses
● Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, using logic and reasoning to identify solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems
● Strong organizational skills and flexibility; superior attention to detail and ability to successfully manage multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously
● Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to build cross-functional relationships, manage direct reports, and thrive in a collaborative and team-oriented environment to accomplish objectives.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an aptitude for breaking down complex ideas into simple terms
● Sound judgment, initiative to actively pursue high levels of performance and complete projects in a timely manner
● Ability to effectively present to and influence internal stakeholders at various levels through strategic engagement and building/sharing a business case for initiatives
● Up-to-date knowledge and technical skills required to design, manage, and optimize sustainability systems/frameworks
● Knowledge of industrial process efficiency and productivity
● Strong environmental input-output analysis skills and a deep understanding of material/energy balance and process flow simulations
● Strong statistical skills as applied to environmental database management
● Mastery of Microsoft Office software suite and Life Cycle Assessment tools
(e.g.: SimaPro, Gabi software)
● Ability to travel globally may be required to audit and execute sustainability program