Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of advisors and experts working across 140 countries. Founded to be both humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology and rigor to shape a better world.
Arup is seeking a Senior Sustainability Consultant to join our rapidly growing team in Washington, DC. You would be joining our multidisciplinary team focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that shape a better future for people and the planet. This role will be an integral team member with a project management and service growth role within our regional team’s climate and sustainability portfolio, delivering critical consulting services for key clients across the public, private and non-profit sectors.
You will manage and contribute to several concurrent projects such as zero carbon certified buildings, development of sustainability and resilience targets for campuses and portfolios, coordination of green building certifications (such as LEED, WELL, Fitwel, ILFI Zero Carbon/Energy), and a variety of other sustainable specification and procurement support. The role will challenge you to work across interdisciplinary teams with a wide range of client types.
This role requires an individual with a strong combination of technical, strategic and management thinking as well as effective communication skills across mediums. On a daily basis, you may lead sustainability assessment workshops, develop spreadsheet-based decision-making tools, run whole-building lifecycle assessments, identify and analyze design alternatives, prepare written summaries and technical memorandums for clients, present on process and findings to non-technical audiences, attend client meetings, and support business development proposals. Your experience and capability will determine the breadth of your responsibility.
We are looking for someone who will have experience working as part of a multi-disciplinary team and with a proven track record.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Delivery of climate and sustainability projects as a project manager and/or technical lead.
- Design strategy and sustainability goal definition for projects at differing scales from an individual building to master planning to infrastructure corridors.
- Review of high-performance systems, low energy and carbon neutral design strategies, human health and wellness design strategies, nature-based solutions and circular economy implementation on projects.
- Administration of green building rating systems including internal and external team management.
- Oversight of simulation and analysis including parametric energy modeling and optimization, climate analysis and daylighting.
- Supervising junior sustainability professionals.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Environmental Science, Planning, or a closely related field. A Master’s degree in a similar field is preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience in the built environment with a focus on sustainability.
- Professional licensure or accreditation in an appropriate field (CEM, PE, AIA, AICP, PMP and/or LEED).
- Be a creative, motivated, and technically minded individual that is able to work both independently, with limited oversight, and seamlessly across a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience with project budgeting, cost tracking, and interdisciplinary team management.
- Strong background and understanding of the codes and regulations driving sustainability in the DMV region generally, and specifically in Washington, DC.
- Demonstrated experience in GHG emissions (based on GHG protocol, green building rating systems, building simulation tools, and energy and/or climate analysis software.
- Experience communicating technical information to non-technical audiences.
Benefits that Work - At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
Flexible Working - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, spouse of protected veteran, or disability.