Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Hydrogen as a potential energy source and a climate solution for hardest-to-decarbonize sectors (e.g., aviation, shipping, long-haul trucking, heavy industry) is receiving much government, industry and investment attention. But many knowledge gaps exist on hydrogen’s impact on the climate, the environment, and public health – and the same can be said for other next-generation fuels and feedstocks (e.g., green ammonia and e-methanol) and new technologies (e.g., CCS and direct air capture). EDF is working to overcome these knowledge gaps by conducting original research and analyses, identifying best practices and technologies, and then turning these insights into sound policy and actionable industry practices.
EDF+Business is focused on, as part of the broader organization wide effort, to ensure that industry and the finance sector have a complete understanding of the full life-cycle climate, environmental, and health impacts of deploying hydrogen and other advanced fuels and energy transition technologies and are supplied with specific recommendations for incorporating these insights into their corporate policies, strategies and investments.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for implementing key aspects of EDF’s science work including building relationships, sharing insights, and managing collaborative research and technology projects and working with corporate partners. Under the leadership of the Director in EDF Business, the Senior Manager will work closely with the Business, Energy Transition, and Climate Science Teams to ensure that full life cycle impacts of deploying hydrogen as part of decarbonization strategies are clearly understood, considered, and acted upon in policies and investments in hydrogen systems globally.
Build industry partnerships in support of cutting edge research
- In close collaboration with EDF Scientists - manage complex hydrogen science projects with internal EDF team and external partners; create project workplans and ensure that teams stay on track to meet deliverables and objectives; develop and apply appropriate means for measuring project success.
- Work with EDF+Business, Science and Health teams to identify and coordinate necessary industry research priorities on hydrogen, CCUS, petrochemicals and sustainable aviation fuels; interpret results and leverage findings with industry and investor audiences to advance advocacy goals.
- Lead efforts writing and preparing white papers, reports, and communications materials aimed at industry and finance sector audiences; draft internal decision memos, talking points; contribute to funding proposals and reports.
- Engage with partner organizations and manage consultants with a deep understanding of the emerging hydrogen industry and markets to generate and share critical insights.
Engaging stakeholders and decision makers
- Lead engagement with key stakeholders, including finance sector, industry, thinktanks, and NGOs. Catalyze new relationships with members of industry. Devise strategy and tactics to leverage these relationships to ensure climate risk of hydrogen leakage, environmental justice, and consideration of use cases that maximize climate benefit, are enshrined in corporate policy recommendations.
- Work with the EDF’s Investor Influence team to equip the financial sector with new tools and strategies to engage companies across the hydrogen value chain to minimize harm and maximize benefits of hydrogen production and use.
Communication and subject matter expertise
- In close coordination with EDF’s communications teams, direct and guide the development of key messaging and other external communications materials, such as press releases, thought leadership pieces, reports, publications and blogs, to advocate for EDF’s positions, elevate EDF’s global profile and build individual visibility as a “subject matter expert.”
Support EDF enterprise-wide strategy and goals
- Support other initiatives in the EDF Business program as needed, including ongoing projects and “rapid response” to incoming inquires or new issues related to our work on energy transition such as CCUS, petrochemicals, sustainable aviation fuels.
- Participate in program or organizational strategy and planning efforts, including developing workplans and strategies, overseeing budgets, and financial accountability, negotiating contracts, agreements and scopes of work, contributing to fundraising activities.
- Communicate project results to EDF staff, corporations, donors, the media and various stakeholders through reports, presentations, blogs, and other methods that build EDF thought leadership.
- Coordinate closely with other EDF mission teams, such as Science, Economics and relevant regional teams in Europe, India, China, Asia-Pacific and US, and manage efforts of EDF staff and consultants across multiple programs in a matrixed organization; collaborate seamlessly with external partners critical to the program’s success.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- At least eight years of relevant experience such in industry, consulting, investor or public relations, advocacy, or environmental campaigns; advanced degree can substitute for up to 2 years’ experience.
- Advanced degree in science, engineering, business or related discipline, in areas related to energy and climate preferred, or comparable substantive expertise.
- Ability to navigate high-level engagements with industry representatives, investors, environmental NGOs, and other key stakeholders.
- General knowledge of the energy industry – priority geographies, critical stakeholders, operational practices and key news and trends.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an initiative and produce measurable results.
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to structure and test hypotheses to innovate new solutions for persistent, challenging issues.
- Strong analytical skills and experience in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work.
- An ability to work both independently and as a member of small teams on multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environment.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 100,000 - 113,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/senior-manager-hydrogen-and-new-clean-energy
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.