Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Senior Manager, Corporate Sustainability Strategy
Location: Raleigh, New York, Boston, or Remote
EDF+Business has been working with the private sector to address the world’s most pressing environmental problems for over thirty years. The products we buy every day—from the food we eat to the beauty products we use—are an integral part of the global economy, but their production creates major climate, water and health impacts throughout the supply chain. The EDF+Business Resilient Food and Forest team aims to reduce these impacts by working with the food and agriculture sectors to enact change through their supply chains. We do this through high-impact partnerships with companies such as Walmart and Tyson Foods; bipartisan policy advocacy; and smart communications strategies to disseminate best practices.
To meet the world’s climate goals, we must rapidly transition the livestock sector to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase climate resilience, and ensure nutritious food for a growing population. Reporting to the Director, Resilient Food and Forests, the Senior Manager (internally titled Senior Manager, Livestock Sector, EDF+Business) will be the EDF+Business strategic lead for livestock sector engagement and will work with companies to maximize climate ambition, specifically around agricultural methane reductions. The Senior Manager will manage a team of high-impact individuals focused on the beef, hog, dairy and poultry sectors. They will also represent EDF+Business on a cross-organizational agricultural methane team to ensure strategic alignment and strong collaboration across a global team. The Senior Manager will be a strategic leader for the Resilient Food and Forest team and lead emerging workstreams as appropriate.
- With high-level oversight from the Director, develop and lead EDF+Business’ Livestock Sector strategy, including creating a strategic plan, crafting effective corporate engagement strategies, creating content to promote these strategies, and leading all other efforts associated with this EDF+Business team.
- Manage a team of full-time staff, including overseeing project work and deliverables, developing/reviewing work plans, and evaluating team performance.
- Build new relationships with key livestock companies as relevant to the strategy.
- Represent EDF at conferences or external meetings to deliver our core messages and build our thought-leadership on livestock sustainability. Lead EDF’s engagement with livestock sector multi-stakeholder bodies.
- Build communications materials to the livestock sector to drive increased climate ambition, especially around methane.
- Forge strong internal collaborations with the Climate Smart Agriculture, Office of the Chief Scientist, and regional teams as a critical member of a cross-cutting team working on agricultural methane emissions. Work with internal team to identify corporate engagement goals and strategies to achieve overall EDF objectives.
- Apply experience, research and analysis to develop innovative solutions to food/forests challenges, often without precedents.
- Under the guidance of the Director, support donor deliverable reporting and fundraising proposal opportunities where appropriate.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- In addition to these responsibilities, the Senior Manager will play an integral role in other activities including fundraising, evaluating and recommending new project ideas; disseminating and communicating project results; contributing to cross-organizational topics such as natural climate solutions or carbon credits; and being a leading player in the development of a vibrant and entrepreneurial program.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least eight years of relevant work experience, or Master’s degree and at least six years of relevant experience in corporate sustainability or corporate non-profit advocacy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to articulate and advocate for programmatic priorities among companies, senior leadership, and other audiences.
- Expert knowledge of food and agricultural supply chains, agricultural GHG emissions reduction opportunities, and corporate sustainability trends.
- Proven experience working with or advocating to food and agriculture companies, including identifying viable advocacy pathways and effective strategies to put them into action.
- Experience managing direct staff and leading project teams.
- Experience working internationally and/or with multinational companies, a plus.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker who can synthesize and translate complicated material and develop innovative solutions to unprecedented challenge.
- Excellent project management, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to translate scientific and technical concepts for private sector audiences.
- Strong capacity to bring constituents together toward a common goal, build strategic relationships, and successfully advocate for environmental issues.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of teams in a dynamic and creative environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, inclusive workplace.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time (as appropriate given COVID)
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 100,000 - 110,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/senior-manager-corporate-sustainability-strategy-livestock
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.