Senior Land Evaluation & Forest Restoration Expert
Scientist aiming to implement reforestation at scale in the US, Canada and Mexico - while partnering with international, engaged colleagues.
Land Life is a technology-driven reforestation company with the mission to help restore the world’s 2 billion hectares of degraded land. We plant trees at scale across the globe to kickstart ecosystems and the communities that depend on them. We are an international scale-up based in the Netherlands with projects in the US, Canada, Spain, Australia and other places. In the 2021 planting season, we have restored over 10,000 acres (4,000 hectares) of land globally, planting over 4 million trees. Land Life Company formed a Scientific Advisory Board in 2021 which advises on scientific and technological matters alongside reviewing and monitoring Land Life’s reforestation projects.
In North America, we collaborate with NGOs; federal, state and local governments; private organizations and communities to restore degraded and disturbed landscapes. We plant trees to enhance biodiversity and conserve iconic wildlife. Our 2021 US projects are in Colorado and British Columbia, for 2022 we are looking to expand in other parts of the US, Canada and Mexico.
Land Life’s restoration work in North America is centered around partnerships with public and private landowners. You will perform land evaluation assessments for land restoration potential and develop plans to apply Adaptive Forest Management and Forest Landscape Restoration principles to our plantings, based on state-of-the-art scientific insight and practical learnings in the field.
The role is based in Sacramento, California, with frequent travel throughout North America, as well as regular travel to Amsterdam (HQ). The position is a hybrid work schedule with 1-3 days in the office in Sacramento and the remaining days remote. The Senior Land Evaluation & Forest Restoration Expert reports to the Regional Director North America (Meghan Hertel) with a functional steer from Land Life’s Head of Resilience Engineering (Prof. dr. Koen Kramer) in Amsterdam.
The Senior Land Evaluation & Forest Restoration Expert will be responsible for:
- Leading science in collaboration with colleagues to help set long-range strategy for implementation of reforestation at-scale in North America. - This includes the development and implementation of Adaptive Forest Management and Forest Landscape Restoration plans, initially with particular focus on strategies for both artificial and natural regeneration. Formulation and implementation of experiments to answer operational challenges found in our forest and nature restoration projects. Actively participate in the Resilience team to answer the reforestation challenges across Land Life’s geographies.
- Leading experiments and their analysis to inform and improve implementation of current reforestation efforts in North America. - Collaboration on design sampling protocols for Land Life North America based on co-developed planting protocols and in line with accreditation standards. Quality assessment of areas for forest and nature restoration potential and forest ecosystem functioning with respect to carbon capture, water availability, soil formation, and biodiversity, in collaboration with colleagues. Selection of species, provenances and seed sources suitable to withstand anticipated enhanced stresses and disturbances due to climate change. Assessing project success and lessons learned including meeting with partners, visiting and assessing pre/post reforestation planting sites. Supporting data collection efforts for internal/external reporting on planting success and provide local context any key learnings that can be drawn from these plantings.
- Collaboration with universities to plan and execute research projects related to our mission. - Build a network of universities and research agencies Land Life collaborates with in North America. Publication, presentation and/or dissemination of the research conducted by Land Life in North America. Enhance Land Life’s representation in the scientific community in North America by attending conferences, joining boards, etc.
The following outlines our target profile:
- PhD, preferred, or advanced degree and equivalent work experience (10+ years) in forest ecology, forestry, ecology or similar
- Profound understanding of North American forest ecosystems, forest ecosystem services
- Preferred in-depth knowledge and experience either in soil science or forest genetics
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills focused on collaboration, building links and relationships within diverse teams, across the organization and with external partners required
- Ability to break up highly complex problems into actionable and easy to understand solutions
- Able to function well and work autonomously and proactively in a start-up company which includes ambiguity and a constantly changing environment.
Position is based in Sacramento and is envisioned as a hybrid work schedule with 1-3 days in-person in the Sacramento office.
Land Life is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We are committed to nondiscrimination, inclusion and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search. We encourage women, non-traditional leaders, people of color, and people from underrepresented groups to apply. If you need special accommodations to apply please let us know.
This position is considered a senior role within Land Life and has an expected salary range of $110,000 to $125,000. This range can shift pending experience and qualifications. Land Life also offers a competitive package of vacation days and holidays.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to Meghan Hertel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be analyzed as their applications arrive. We aim to onboard the new Senior Land Evaluation and Forest Restoration Expert as soon as possible so interviews will take place on a rolling basis. Please be advised that without a cover letter we will not consider your application. If you apply via LinkedIn, please send your cover letter separately.