Job Title: Engineer, Product Sustainability
Location: Huntersville, NC
At Newell Brands, we aspire to shape the future of responsible consumption by creating innovative products that are better for the environment and enable our consumers to live more sustainably. As part of the R&D Sustainability Team, the Engineer, Product Sustainability will lead activities related to embedding sustainability in the product development process. The role will partner with internal resources to develop tools, education and best practices to integrate sustainability in our new product development process. Additionally, the role will use tools such as Life Cycle Assessment and Design for the Sustainability to identify and communicate opportunities to reduce the environmental impacts of our products at Newell Brands. Some U.S. and global travel is required.
· Support development of tools and education related to product sustainability goals and Design for Sustainability program.
· Utilize Design for Sustainability principles to help product development teams develop more sustainable products.
· Perform Life Cycle Assessments and identify Design for Sustainability strategies utilizing the output.
· Support monitoring, informing, and educating organization of relevant environmental sustainability regulations for top markets, customers, and product categories.
· Support data collection and reporting related to product sustainability goals.
· Identify and evaluate new sustainable materials and technologies.
· Support development of claims and communication related to product sustainability.
· Bachelor of Science degree or higher in engineering or related field.
· 2+ years of working experience in sustainability, product development or related field.
· Excellent presentation and facilitation skills with peer group and leaders.
· Demonstrated project management skills and ability to deliver on project goals.
· Eagerness to identify, learn and apply new sustainability tools, processes and methodologies that create value for Newell Brands, our consumers and our environment.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
· Minor or concentration in sustainable engineering, sustainable materials or related field.
· Experience applying sustainability and DFE principles in consumer product development.
· Formal training or certification in Life Cycle Assessment methodologies and software (e.g. SimaPro, Gabi, COMPASS).
· Experience related to sustainability goal setting and reporting.
· Experience in consumer product development and stage-gate product development process.