Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
This is a hybrid role based in either of our Washington, DC or Boston offices.
The Policy Specialist is a key contributor to EDF’s Corporate Climate Leadership initiative which builds business support for federal and state climate policy. The Policy Specialist will have a unique opportunity to work at the intersection of business and public policy and will help research, identify, and cultivate corporate champions for EDF’s policy goals, linking companies’ business interests to policy objectives and advocacy opportunities. The Specialist’s work will inform and advance EDF’s corporate engagement strategy, enabling us to plan and prioritize activities, respond quickly to new developments and track progress over time. The Specialist will join a dynamic team from EDF+Business and engage regularly with key staff from Political Affairs, U.S. Region, and Marketing & Communications, under the direction of the Manager, Corporate Climate Leadership.
- Build and maintain a knowledge base of corporate actions to address climate change, including enterprise-level commitments and actions, and advocacy on federal and state policy. Prioritize companies to engage in advancing EDF’s policy goals.
- Research key companies in target states, track relevant policies and develop the business case for corporate engagement in coordination with EDF experts. Identify opportunities for collaboration with specific companies, industry groups and other partners.
- Conduct outreach to companies and assist in managing company relationships in coordination with other EDF staff and consultants;
- Support EDF’s collaboration with the NGOs that endorse the AAA Framework for Climate Policy Leadership. Identify target sectors and companies and key performance indicators, establish baselines and track progress over time. Help update the AAA top climate policy priorities.
- Track lobbying on key climate policy priorities by companies and industry groups; identify actions to highlight on EDF’s Climate Authenticity Meter.
- Conduct background research and write talking points and briefing memos for conversations between EDF and corporate executives. Participate in meetings with company staff and NGO partners, including preparation and follow-up.
- Review corporate sustainability, lobbying reports and sustainability rankings to identify best practices and opportunities for improvement.
- Monitor the landscape of organizations working with businesses on climate and energy policy. Identify opportunities for collaboration with external partners and new initiatives and thought leadership by EDF.
- Communicate project results to internal and external audiences through reports, blog posts, presentations and other vehicles.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with at least three years of professional experience, or master’s degree with at least one year of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated interest in the intersection of business, climate change and public policy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to synthesize and convey information clearly and concisely (a writing sample and/or sample work product will be required as part of the interview process).
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Professional maturity and comfort working with senior staff.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Organizational skills and an ability to keep multiple projects moving forward.
- Attention to detail coupled with an ability to see patterns across large volumes of data.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 56,000 - 64,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/policy-specialist-edfbusiness
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.