thinkPARALLAX is a leading full-service ESG strategy and communications agency. Partnering with influential companies across industries, we drive meaningful sustainability progress, action, and conversation. Our team of expert strategists and creatives guide every stage of our clients’ sustainability journey from ESG strategy to reporting, communications, and engagement, delivering compelling solutions that maximize business and stakeholder value.
In addition to being a certified B-Corp, thinkPARALLAX celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. It's even one of our values — check it out on our website.
As People and Culture Manager, your mission will be to ensure all of our teammates have what they need to be wildly successful at thinkPARALLAX. Your day-to-day will have a heavy focus on employer brand, recruitment, performance management, plus learning and development. Ensuring compliance with employment law will also be one of your core activities.
The People and Culture Manager is a newly-created position at thinkPARALLAX. Your early days on the team will consist of learning how to carry out existing processes/responsibilities (e.g., onboarding & offboarding, benefit plan management, Annual Benefit Report), followed by leading the development or evolution of several new elements/programs, as described below. This role sits on our Operations Team and reports to our Head of Operations.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Support the Head of Operations and other team leaders to define organizational needs and strategy related to People & Culture.
- Employer brand and recruitment:
- Articulate and convey our employer brand in creative ways.
- Lead and enhance our recruitment and selection process.
- Build and maintain a talent pipeline.
- Onboarding and offboarding:
- Design and oversee newcomer experiences by organizing onboarding activities, preparing onboarding packages, and facilitating orientation with our Office Coordinator and Hiring leads.
- Manage our offboarding process, including leading exit interviews and preparing documentation with our People managers, Finance Manager and Office Coordinator.
- Learning and development:
- Collaborate with our team leads to build learning and development programs for each team/role type.
- Performance management
- Manage and evolve our performance and compensation review process.
- Maintain our compensation philosophy, including carrying out annual refreshes of salary bands in collaboration with the Head of Operations.
- Mentor People managers on performance management.
- Partner with People managers through employee relations issues and guide them to a resolution.
- In collaboration with the CEO, formalize and hold the vision for the tPXperience, the events and dynamics each team member encounters during their journey with thinkPARALLAX.
- Play an active role on our Celebrations Committee, which coordinates birthday and onboarding celebrations, Snaps & Claps (our peer-to-peer recognition program), and other activities.
- Play an active role on our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) Committee to ensure our DEI intentions permeate through all of our practices and policies.
- Lead the annual employee survey and follow-up actions.
- Lead the process to refresh our values over time as our company evolves.
- Regulatory compliance and policy management
- Ensure compliance with multiple state and federal employment regulations.
- Maintain our Employee Handbook and COVID-19 Safety Plan in compliance with relevant regulations, and ensure all policies are applied consistently.
- Manage annual open enrollment, benefit plan renewals, and worker's compensation policy maintenance.
- Partner with the Client Engagement Team to create our Annual Benefit Report.
- Manage sensitive documentation and employee information.
- Able to create and activate a recruitment strategy, leveraging team members’ networks.
- Able to design and implement a performance management program.
- Basic knowledge of U.S. employment law, particularly California regulation.
- Human-centered approach to People Operations.
- Highly ethical and able to manage confidential issues with tact and discretion.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, though able to draft work products independently.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to function well in a remote-first, fast-paced environment.
- BONUS: Experience in an agency, consulting, or corporate environment.
As a team that comes together in-person from time to time, all thinkPARALLAX employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Exceptions are made for medical or religious reasons.
This is a full-time position, working remotely or from the thinkPARALLAX office in Encinitas, CA. thinkPARALLAX is California-based, so the ideal candidate will be working within three hours of Pacific Standard Time.
We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, three weeks paid vacation, two one-week paid office closures (summer break, winter break), a monthly wellness stipend, and an optional 3-day travel program to expand our employees’ thinking and creativity. We also offer 401(k) matching and profit-sharing plans for those who qualify.
We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Eligibility for employment in the U.S. is required.
- Salary range spans $65,000 - $90,000
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. tPX covers 80% of your medical premium and 100% of your dental and vision premiums.
- Nine (9) paid federal holidays.
- Ten (10) paid tPX holidays during our two annual week-long company closures, typically the first week of August and the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- Fifteen (15) days of paid vacation per year, which will start accruing on your first day.
- Five (5) days of paid sick leave annually, which is non-accrued (available immediately).
- A professional development benefit of 96 hours and $1,500 to be invested in pursuit of your professional development goals.
- One (1) paid volunteer day.
- A monthly wellness stipend, currently set at $75/month.
- The PARALLAXploration travel program, including 3 days of paid time off and $1,800 to explore a new place.
- The tPX 401(k) plan, including ESG funds, tPX match up to 4% of your salary, and immediate vestment.
- The tPX profit sharing plan, an end-of-year bonus based on a percent of the year's profit in relationship to salary and tenure.
If you think you’re the one, please send the following to email@example.com with subject line “People & Culture Manager application”.
- Your resumé.
- Responses to the following questions in whatever format you think best shows off who you are (right in the body of an email, in a cover letter, video,…):
- Why would you like to work at thinkPARALLAX - what would it mean to you?
- What part of this role excites you the most?
- What's one strength or specialty people are surprised to learn about you?
- What about your creativity, skill sets, and/or experience might be exciting or inspiring for the team to know?
We’re excited to hear from you!