The North American (NA) Sustainability Lead will work closely with Operations, Procurement, Supply Chain managers, Product Development, Advanced Engineering, Finance, Legal, Human resources, and the Executive Team to develop strategies to integrate Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) into the company business model. This position can be located at any of our North American Plants and is eligible for a hybrid work schedule.
The NA Sustainability Lead will work with the Global Sustainability Director to create and coordinate a strategic plan while providing leadership to ensure the company complies with customer requirements, stakeholder interests, and applicable regulations for climate change mitigation and adaptation, social accountability, and corporate governance Key
• Work with Global Sustainability Director as a direct reporting line and Sustainability Team
• Support senior leadership team, corporate officers, and business unit leaders regarding emerging trends in legislation, customer requirements, and other stakeholder interests.
• Collaborate with human resources and legal departments to align existing policies for social accountability and corporate governance within the framework of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards
• Identify risks and opportunities through Risk Assessments and the application of ISO 14001, 50001, and 45000 environmental, energy, and occupational safety management systems and then prioritize based on Materiality Analysis, TCFD framework, and The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact.
• Develop a data management system to support verifiable fundamental sustainability indicators (such as general consumption, ESG, HR, etc.), especially Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emission data for GRI and other reporting requirements.
• Determine objectives and targets for GHG emission reduction, renewable energy consumption, supply-chain performance, circularity, and business integrity for a Climate Change Action Plan
• Create a strategic climate change action plan for mitigation and adaptation incorporating energy management, emerging technology, supplier engagement, and green energy procurement.
• Respond to customer requirements for ESG topics, especially for Life Cycle Assessments (LCA), renewable energy, and carbon neutrality
• Representing company interests with external stakeholder organizations, industry associations, finance partners, customer roundtables and working groups, government regulators, and environmental interest groups.
Skills and Experience
• In-depth knowledge of global sustainability initiatives, requirements, and local solutions.
• Experience with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards for stakeholder engagement, social accountability, corporate governance, energy, emissions, and environmental management.
• Practical know-how with ISO 14064 Corporate Carbon Footprint, ISO 14067 Product Carbon Footprint, and ISO 14040 series for Life Cycle Assessment Standards.
• Solid knowledge of the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol for carbon emission reporting
• Good understanding of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), Science Based Targets (SBT), and Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) framework and their interlinkage between related platforms, and target-setting capability for GHG emissions
• Proven record for continual improvement in CDP Scoring, Ecovadis, and other ESG reporting & benchmark platforms.
• Energy market experience related to Power Purchase Agreements, Renewable Energy Certificates/Energy Attributes, and Emission Offsets.
• Knowledge of standards and screening models for sustainable supply chain management
• Responding to customer surveys, including the NQC automotive reporting platform
• 3 years of progressive sustainability experience
• Enthusiastic about Sustainability, Driver for Initiatives, and problem solver
• Highly organized and results-oriented
• Proven record of strategic planning and rapid deployment for a broad range of sustainability topics
• Experience in budget development for short- and long-term sustainability roadmap for strategy execution
• Good knowledge of LCA & Carbon Footprint methodologies & software
• Advanced know-how of data management analytics & tools and Microsoft Excel
• Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences/Engineering and/or specialization in Energy Management
The statements herein describe the general nature and level of work employees are assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.