Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Location: Hybrid 2-3 days in any of these EDF office New York, Boston, Washington, DC or Remote US
Investors represent a powerful force in accelerating the shift to a more sustainable and resilient economy. They influence the flow of trillions of dollars and are under increasing pressure to use their influence to drive change at carbon-intensive companies and to align investment portfolios with a more resilient future. Our vision is that by 2025, leading investors will be competing for climate leadership and using their influence and capital to drive change across carbon-intensive industries and scale investment in low carbon solutions.
Reporting to the Director of Investor Influence, the Manager will lead and support a growing set of initiatives with investors and financial institutions of interest to EDF’s Investor Influence team. This role will support the team in driving climate progress by working with leading investors and leveraging the financial sector’s power, product offerings, and the regulatory landscape to consistently demand and support rigorous corporate net zero targets, plans and investments, while backing the public policies necessary to accelerate action.
In growing and nurturing EDF’s investor work, this role will help to inform and amplify the new ESG by EDF: Actionable Insights for a Decarbonizing World platform, which aims to leverage EDF’s world-leading expertise in climate science, economics, and public policy to inform rigorous assessment and constructive community with the independent analysis and tools needed to manage climate risk, assess opportunities, and accelerate urgent action in the sectors that matter most.
As a member of the EDF +Business Investor Influence team, the position’s responsibilities will include:
- Envisioning, developing and executing investor-oriented research on the energy transition
- Building and managing relationships with peer NGOs focused on climate finance and the energy transition
- Building and managing relationships with large banks, asset managers, private equity firms and endowments
- Coordinating joint work on financial regulation and climate risk with the EDF Legal and Regulatory Affairs team, advancing EDF’s legal priorities with private sector partners and integrating investor perspectives in EDF’s regulatory engagement
- Supporting EDF’s work with banks, investors and energy companies in designing climate aligned mergers and acquisitions in upstream oil and gas
- Reporting progress on key strategic priorities to the EDF Development team
- Partnering with members of the EDF Marketing and Communications team to develop and promote high impact thought leadership that compellingly communicates our analysis, insights and recommendations to the financial sector
- Participating in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
We are seeking candidates who have a demonstrated ability to manage projects and junior staff in sustainable finance or a closely related field. Candidates must have exceptional problem-solving and interpersonal skills, work independently and collaboratively within the EDF team, and be able to build strategically and mutually beneficial relationships with external players and institutions.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in sustainability, finance or a related field
- At least 6 years of related work experience, or advance degree with at least 4 years of related work experience
- Excellent project and people management skills in support of highly visible work
- Understanding of the fundamentals of investment management
- Demonstrated interest in climate change and/or experience with corporate sustainability and its intersection with the financial services industry and capital markets
- Experience working for a bank and/or strong understanding of the banking system and how it is affected by climate issues
- Excellent outreach, communications and relationship management skills in support of highly visible work
- Willingness to take initiative and ability to multi-task under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in managing projects
- Keen attention to detail to ensure consistency and quality of outputs
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other office productivity software
- Expert writing and editing skills targeted at financial sector audiences
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in English
- Ability to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgement required to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 83,000 - 93,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.