Job Title: Leader, Sustainable Materials and Technology Innovation
Location: Huntersville, NC
At Newell Brands, we aspire to shape the future of responsible consumption by creating innovative products that are better for the environment and enable our consumers to live more sustainably. As part of the R&D Sustainability Team, the Leader, Sustainable Materials and Technology Innovation will identify and evaluate new innovations that align with our vision. The role will partner with internal teams and external experts to scout new materials and technologies and evaluate them against strategic objectives. Additionally, the role with collaborate with cross-functional partners and business leaders to influence strategy and transform our product portfolio into sustainable solutions for our consumers. Some U.S. and global travel is required.
· Understand environmental, consumer, retailer, supply chain and regulatory trends and their impact on our global business objectives.
· Identify and evaluate sustainable materials and technologies for new products against market trends, sustainability strategy and business objectives.
· Partners with cross-functional teams to develop sustainable innovation strategies and roadmaps.
· Identify and drive the implementation of new processes that support a circular economy.
· Develop and lead strategic partnerships with material suppliers and/or technology providers to develop new sustainable materials and technologies.
· Lead evaluation and support implementation of environmental certifications and claims.
· Bachelor of Science degree or higher in Materials Science/Engineering, Polymer Science/Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field.
· 7+ years of working experience in sustainability, product development or related field.
· Understanding of global environmental challenges and their impact on our consumers, the communities we operate in and business objectives.
· Experience leading material, technology and new product development projects in consumer products.
· Demonstrated experience identifying and evaluating materials and technologies against environmental and economic objectives.
· Demonstrated ability to influence cross-functional teams and product development decisions through research and data driven decision making.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills including create presentations to influence senior business leaders.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
· Master’s degree in Material Science/Engineering, Environmental Science, Sustainable Materials or related field.
· Experience in consumer product development and stage-gate product development process.
· Experience developing and delivering learning plans.
· Experience applying sustainability and design for the environment principles in consumer product development.
· Formal training or certification in Life Cycle Assessment methodologies and software.
· Experience in establishing environmental certifications and claims.