Storyroot is a strategic impact studio that designs integrated sustainability strategies, drives purpose-aligned brands, and powers more meaningful connections with stakeholders. Founded in early 2019, we are on a mission to make purpose a force for positive change, ensuring environmental stewardship and social impact become more regular considerations in businesses’ core decision-making processes. We partner with conscious companies – especially consumer-facing brands in CPG, food, fashion, and tech – to integrate sustainability into their systems and storytelling, empowering them to affect change and grow more meaningfully. Our projects range from designing brand identities for sustainable businesses, to conducting supply chain risk analyses, to drafting and designing impact reports, all centered around having more authentic and intentional conversations with stakeholders. Learn more at: www.storyroot.com
Are you passionate and knowledgeable about sustainability in business, have experience using data to answer some of our world’s toughest challenges, and love using your creative skills to enhance a team? As one of Storyroot’s first full-time hires, you’ll report directly to our founder and play a big part in expanding Storyroot’s impact offerings. In this role, you will:
- Work closely with other members of the team to create compelling strategies that educate, inspire, engage, and inform sustainability and social impact initiatives;
- Bring diverse perspectives to client engagements, pushing and challenging the team to think strategically, listen and learn proactively, and innovate;
- Develop key narratives that communicate impact stories to customers, employees, partners, suppliers, investors, and other key stakeholders; and
- Expand Storyroot's capacity to serve a larger and more diverse client pool – driving positive impact and meeting market demand.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
If you have experience operationalizing sustainability and social impact strategies, working with clients to tell transparent and authentic brand stories, and encouraging more strategic and innovative approaches to solving problems, then this role is for you. We’re looking for candidates with the following core qualifications:
- Up-to-date understanding of the landscape for sustainability and social impact communications, including the evolution and integration of internationally recognized frameworks, ESG disclosure regulations, and more, and can effectively advise and consult for clients on these materials;
- Familiarity with the B Corp assessment and certification process;
- Demonstrated alignment with Storyroot's values, including a history of approaching work with adaptability, patience, and a creative eye;
- Clear, concise, and compelling short-form and long-form writing skills with experience delivering content in distinct consumer-facing brand voices with minimal input or supervision;
- Ability to communicate persuasively and professionally, verbally and in writing, in English to a wide variety of stakeholder audiences;
- Strong collaboration skills, with the ability to engage and build good rapport with a wide variety of people across demographic identities, especially through thoughtful and intentional communication;
- Demonstrated success leading client engagements independently; and
- Adept at efficiently managing a variety of projects concurrently and prioritizing deliverables to meet tight deadlines.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT STORYROOT
This is a full-time opportunity. We recognize that a work-life balance often looks different for each of us, so working hours will be finalized once you’re on board. While this role can work from anywhere and is fully remote (not required to check-in at a specific office location), you must be authorized to work in the United States. Benefits currently include health care, vacation and sick time, and the potential for a professional development stipend. The salary for this position ranges from $85,000 to $95,000, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter with your resume that highlights why you’re interested in this role and answers the question:
“How can businesses play a role in leading a ‘just transition’ (i.e. creating a more sustainable, equitable planet)?”
No need to write a novel here, we just want to get a sense of how you think about impact (please keep your cover letter to 500 words or less). If you have a portfolio, please include it with your application! Please submit your application materials (resume, cover letter, and portfolio) by April 17, 2022 using this application form: https://forms.gle/hHpfAp6uyemuacYY6.
The Storyroot team will evaluate all candidates’ resumes and supplemental materials, and follow up with next steps.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
As an organization founded by a white, cis-gender woman, we are looking specifically for candidates with either demographic identities or life experiences that would add different perspectives to our work. We believe that for the sustainability field to remain relevant and effective, it is essential that we use equitable employment practices to actively recruit historically underrepresented and chronically underemployed groups. We encourage folks to apply who self-identify as black, indigenous, persons of color (BIPOC), women, working-class, or disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Did you know that, according to research, men apply to jobs more often even if they only meet ~60% of listed qualifications, while women and members of historically marginalized groups tend to only apply when they think they meet every criterion? We think that’s bogus. If you’re interested in joining Storyroot and think this is the right job for you, please apply even if you can’t check every box. We’d still love to hear from you! We recognize that flexibility comes in a variety of forms. Please talk to us about what flexibility and accommodations you need to do your job the best you can, whether that’s alternative working hours, particular means of communication, or anything else we haven’t thought of.