Are you passionate about operationalizing sustainability in business, using data to answer some of our toughest challenges, and refining your impact management skillset? As part of a quickly-growing team, you’ll report directly to our founder and play a key role in supporting our clients’ varied needs. Day-to-day, you’ll do things like:
- Work directly with clients to develop practical solutions that meet core business needs – particularly focusing on research, analysis, and strategy development;
- Develop collateral that communicate impact stories to customers, employees, partners, suppliers, investors, and other key stakeholders; and
- Enhance Storyroot’s existing systems and productize our impact consulting offerings, including our research approach, project templates, and proprietary processes.
If you’re eager to operationalize social impact strategies, advise clients on the evolving sustainability landscape, and tell balanced and authentic impact stories, this role is for you. The Impact Specialist will:
- Help manage projects related to clients’ organizational sustainability and social impact programs, including bringing diverse perspectives to client engagements;
- Track new and quickly evolving sustainability frameworks and regulations globally;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of internal measurements to assess clients’ impacts and help deliver measurable change;
- Prepare and present research findings and recommendations in both report and presentation formats for clients and other partners;
- Assist with efficient RFP responses, project bids, and proposal development, including providing technical input and support;
- Craft original content, including blogs, case studies, presentations, bylines, and other collateral, that can be used across a variety of channels.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
We’re looking for a highly motivated and hard-working individual that is ready to bring energy, optimism, and versatility to the team. The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Support clients in how to align with leading, internationally-recognized sustainability frameworks, including, but not limited to, through B Corp certification and the B impact assessment process, and the production of ESG disclosures and other communications informed by GRI, TCFD, TNFD, SASB (now VRF), CSRD, etc.;
- Research and synthesize large amounts of quantitative and qualitative data, and present meaningful findings quickly and coherently;
- Identify and analyze gaps in client strategy and materials (i.e. pinpoint where actions or intentions might be leading to unintended, adverse impacts or where communications might not accurately reflect business operations) and help deliver actionable learnings and ideas for measurable change;
- Apply a clear understanding of grammar rules and strong editorial skills in both short-form and long-form content, as well as self-edit drafts for clarity and cohesion;
- Develop creative presentations that are enjoyable, informative, and useful resources for clients;
- Communicate persuasively and professionally, verbally and in writing, in English to a wide variety of stakeholder audiences;
- Independently manage various projects concurrently and effectively prioritize deliverables, resulting in high-quality work product and on-time delivery, especially while working remotely;
- Assess and cite scientific and media sources, verify sources, and fact-check content;
- Work well with cross-functional teams by maintaining flexibility, patience, and collaboration;
- Learn quickly and apply learnings in a fast-paced environment;
- Push and challenge our team, clients, and partners, to think in new and different ways especially by nature of identity or lived experience.
SOME MORE LOGISTICS
This is a full-time opportunity – we recognize that work-life balance often looks different for each of us, so working hours will be finalized once you’re on board. While this role can work from anywhere and is fully remote (not required to check-in at a specific office location), you must be authorized to work in the United States. The selected candidate is expected to have a safe and productive work-from-home environment and the ability to provide the materials for their own work setup (including a computer).
Benefits currently include health care, including medical, vision, and dental, life insurance, a work-from-home stipend, and unlimited vacation and sick time with a mandated annual minimum. We are in the process of formalizing additional benefits, including the potential for a professional development stipend, bonuses, and 401-K. The salary for this position ranges from $76,000 to $84,500, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter with your resume that highlights why you’re interested in this role and answers the question: “How can businesses play a role in leading a ‘just transition’ (i.e. creating a more sustainable, equitable planet)?” No need to write a novel here, we just want to get a sense of how you think about impact (please keep your cover letter to 500 words or less). We'd also love to read any written pieces you've published. If you have a portfolio, please include it with your application!
Please submit your application materials (resume, cover letter, and portfolio) using this form:
The Storyroot team will evaluate all candidates’ resumes and supplemental materials on a rolling basis, and follow up with next steps, beginning October 1, 2023.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
As an organization founded by a white, cis-gender woman, we are looking specifically for candidates with either demographic identities or life experiences that would add different perspectives to our work. We believe that for the sustainability field to remain relevant and effective, it is essential that we use equitable employment practices to actively recruit historically underrepresented and chronically underemployed groups. We encourage folks to apply who self-identify as black, indigenous, persons of color (BIPOC), women, working-class, or disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Did you know that, according to research, men apply to jobs more often even if they only meet ~60% of listed qualifications, while women and members of historically marginalized groups tend to only apply when they think they meet every criterion? We think that’s bogus. If you’re interested in joining Storyroot and think this is the right job for you, please apply even if you can’t check every box. We’d still love to hear from you!
We recognize that flexibility comes in a variety of forms. Please talk to us about what flexibility and accommodations you need to do your job the best you can, whether that’s alternative working hours, particular means of communication, or anything else we haven’t thought of.