Storyroot is a strategic impact studio that designs integrated sustainability strategies, drives purpose-aligned brands, and powers more meaningful connections with stakeholders. Founded in early 2019, we are on a mission to make purpose a force for positive change, ensuring environmental stewardship and social impact become more regular considerations in businesses’ core decision-making processes. We partner with conscious companies – especially consumer-facing brands in CPG, food, fashion, and tech – to integrate sustainability into their systems and storytelling, empowering them to affect change and grow more meaningfully. Our projects range from designing brand identities for sustainable businesses, to conducting supply chain risk analyses, to drafting and designing impact reports, all centered around having more authentic and intentional conversations with stakeholders. Learn more at: www.storyroot.com
Are you passionate about social impact and sustainability in business, curious about how data can answer some of our toughest challenges, and interested in growing your career and learning long-term? As part of a quickly-growing team, you’ll report directly to our founder and have the opportunity to work with a variety of clients on a diverse set of projects. Day-to-day, you’ll do things like:
- Enhance Storyroot’s existing systems and productize our impact consulting offerings, including our research, project templates, and proprietary processes;
- Work directly with clients to develop practical solutions that meet core business needs – particularly focusing on research, strategy and copy development; and
- Contribute to Storyroot’s external-facing thought leadership and social impact activities.
If you’re eager to disrupt the status quo, learn how to operationalize sustainability strategies, and tell balanced brand stories, this role is for you. The Strategic Impact Associate will:
- Support the team in the design, management, and reporting of clients’ organizational sustainability and social impact programs, including bringing diverse perspectives to client engagements;
- Develop key narratives to communicate impact stories to customers, employees, partners and other key stakeholders, including drafting and editing copy to support creative storytelling;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of internal measurements to assess clients’ impacts and help deliver measurable change;
- Prepare and present professional recommendations in both report and presentation formats for clients and other partners;
- Enhance proprietary research findings and synthesize results into client-ready presentations;
- Assist with efficient RFP responses, project bids, and proposal development, including providing technical input and support;
- Craft original content, including blogs, case studies, presentations, bylines, and other marketing collateral, that can be used across a variety of channels; and
- Contribute to thought leadership on topical issues that represent Storyroot’s mission, values, and service offerings.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
We’re looking for a highly motivated and hard-working individual that is ready to bring energy, optimism, and versatility to the team. The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Work well with cross-functional teams by maintaining flexibility, patience, and collaboration;
- Build good rapport with both internal and external audiences, including clients, partners, and teammates;
- Research and synthesize large amounts of quantitative and qualitative data, and present meaningful findings quickly and coherently;
- Assess and cite scientific and media sources, verify sources, and fact-check articles;
- Learn quickly and apply learnings in a fast-paced environment;
- Stay current on industry initiatives and standards;
- Manage a variety of projects concurrently and prioritize deliverables, resulting in high-quality work products;
- Deliver clear and concise written content in English in distinct consumer-facing brand voices, both short-form and long-form;
- Develop creative presentations that are both enjoyable and informative (graphic design or studio art experience is a bonus);
- Apply a clear understanding of grammar rules and strong editorial skills;
- Execute organizational and results-oriented project management skills with a track record of on-time delivery, especially while working remotely;
- Identify and analyze gaps in client strategy and solve problems (i.e. pinpoint where actions or intentions might be leading to unintended, adverse impacts or where communications might not accurately reflect business operations); and
- Push and challenge us to think in new and different ways, especially by nature of identity or lived experience.
Additional desired qualifications include:
- Familiarity with corporate sustainability programs, including critical metrics & leading frameworks for sustainability, B Corp certification and the assessment process, and/or producing ESG disclosures and other communications aligned with leading frameworks (e.g., GRI);
- Basic understanding of B2C business models (awareness of current B2C marketing trends and best practices is a bonus; and
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially PowerPoint for creation of engaging presentations and Excel for data analytics (we’re not looking for a VLOOKUP on day one, but some familiarity with building formulas, running pivot tables, and managing and analyzing large amounts of data is a plus).
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT STORYROOT
This is a full-time opportunity – we recognize that work-life balance often looks different for each of us, so working hours will be finalized once you’re on board. While this role can work from anywhere and is fully remote (not required to check-in at a specific office location), you must be authorized to work in the United States. The selected candidate is expected to have a safe and productive work-from-home environment and the ability to provide the materials for their own work setup (including a computer). Benefits currently include health care, including medical, vision, and dental, life insurance, and unlimited vacation and sick time. We are in the process of formalizing additional benefits, including the potential for a professional development stipend, bonuses, and a work-from-home stipend. The salary for this position ranges from $54,000 to $61,000, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter with your resume that highlights why you’re interested in this role and answers the question:
“How can businesses play a role in leading a ‘just transition’ (i.e. creating a more sustainable, equitable planet)?”
No need to write a novel here, we just want to get a sense of how you think about impact (please keep your cover letter to 500 words or less). If you have a portfolio, please include it with your application! The Storyroot team will evaluate all candidates’ resumes and supplemental materials, and follow up with next steps.
Please submit your application materials (resume, cover letter, and portfolio) using this form: https://forms.gle/6RvnWdR7TNcXaadf9
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
As an organization founded by a white, cis-gender woman, we are looking specifically for candidates with either demographic identities or life experiences that would add different perspectives to our work. We believe that for the sustainability field to remain relevant and effective, it is essential that we use equitable employment practices to actively recruit historically underrepresented and chronically underemployed groups. We encourage folks to apply who self-identify as black, indigenous, persons of color (BIPOC), women, working-class, or disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Did you know that, according to research, men apply to jobs more often even if they only meet ~60% of listed qualifications, while women and members of historically marginalized groups tend to only apply when they think they meet every criterion? We think that’s bogus. If you’re interested in joining Storyroot and think this is the right job for you, please apply even if you can’t check every box. We’d still love to hear from you! We recognize that flexibility comes in a variety of forms. Please talk to us about what flexibility and accommodations you need to do your job the best you can, whether that’s alternative working hours, particular means of communication, or anything else we haven’t thought of.