Join the recovering academics at Salo Sciences and help deploy the premier global forest carbon mapping system. This position will play a key role in ensuring forest carbon projects worldwide are sequestering real and verifiable amounts of carbon dioxide.
You’ll be working on our next-generation forest carbon mapping and conservation technology system: the Forest Observatory. As we expand the scope of the Observatory to cover more regions and map new patterns of environmental change—including carbon sequestration and wildfire risk—we are seeking a Carbon Data Scientist to refine our global carbon maps and inputs.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience in forest carbon science and loves to apply rigorous data science principles and visualizations to their work.
This is a hybrid-remote work position located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Work with Salo co-founders to define, build, test & refine methods for mapping forest carbon using satellite data
- Validate forest carbon mapping products against a range of independent datasets
- Source and synthesize existing and new field data on forest metrics
- Create reports and documentation, including content for internal and external education of products and processes
- Interface with existing and prospective customers to explain our methodologies
- Monitor scientific literature for new methods and best practices for forest carbon mapping
- Track developments in voluntary carbon protocols and integrate into product strategy
Required skills and qualifications
- Ph.D. or equivalent (~5-7 yrs) related to forest carbon science. Very flexible here; fields can include ecology, forestry, carbon project development/verification/auditing
- Track record of publishing forest carbon science (peer-reviewed articles, white papers or technical documentation)
- Experience with forest allometry and growth models
- Expert in using traditional statistics, geostatistics or machine learning to analyze large spatial datasets
- Skilled in programmatic geospatial data analysis and visualization
Preferred skills and qualifications
- Python programming expertise, especially with open source geospatial libraries (e.g., geopandas, rasterio, gdal)
- Experience in remote sensing image analysis (satellite, airborne or UAV platforms)
- Google Earth Engine experience
- Detailed understanding of voluntary carbon market protocols
Salo Sciences is a climate technology company on a mission to protect and restore forests as a means to fight climate change. We work to implement forest-focused natural climate solutions—protection, restoration & improved management—by quantifying, mapping, and monitoring the worlds forests with satellites, airborne lasers, artificial intelligence, and ecological modeling.
Join our growing team as we build a global forest carbon mapping and monitoring system for increased transparency and accountability in climate mitigation projects and markets. You will be directly contributing to tangible, meaningful solution to reverse the rate of climate change.