Director of the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute, GIS
Golisano Institute for Sustainability
Seeks Director of the New York State
Pollution Prevention Institute
About the Golisano Institute for Sustainability
Based on its roots as the Center for Integrated Manufacturing Studies, established in 1992, the Golisano Institute for Sustainability (GIS) at Rochester Institute of Technology is a global leader in sustainability education and research. GIS partners with business and government sponsors to solve complex, systemic problems. Much of GIS’s work aims to make industry more sustainable. To do this, GIS uses innovative approaches and technologies to minimize the use of materials and energy while maximizing outcomes. GIS’s expertise, combined with its state-of-the-art research facilities, allows its partners to gain new insights, fuel innovation, and move forward. GIS is led by Dr. Nabil Nasr, an internationally recognized leader in the effort to build a regenerative, sustainable industrial economy through research and education. As an expert advisor and delegate to a variety of forward-looking organizations, Dr. Nasr is an authoritative voice on the role of sustainability research and technology in attaining a more prosperous economy.
About the Pollution Prevention Institute
In 2008, RIT/GIS was selected to lead the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) in partnership with New York’s Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). NYSP2I is a statewide technology development, transfer, and assistance center whose mission is to make New York State more environmentally sustainable for businesses, workers, and the public through more efficient use of raw materials, energy and water as well as reductions in toxic chemical use, emissions to the environment, and waste generation. In partnership with Clarkson University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, University at Binghamton, and Cornell University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and the New York State Manufacturing Extension Partnership, NYSP2I is an integrated program of several major elements:
- Direct technical assistance to industry and organizations
- Research, development, and diffusion
- Outreach and education
- Community grants program
- Support of New York State’s Small Business Environmental Assistance Program, climate action plan, and other initiatives
Reporting to the Director of GIS, the Director of NYSP2I leads a collaborative team of approximately fifteen full-time staff and works in partnership with GIS central staff who provide services to NYSP2I and GIS’s other major programs. The Director of NYSP2I is responsible for an annual operating budget of approximately $4 million with the primary source of funding provided by NYSDEC through the Environmental Protection Fund as a dedicated line item.
Opportunity Going Forward
The Director of NYSP2I will have the opportunity to lead a collaborative, innovative, passionate, mission-driven, and highly effective team of engineers and sustainability specialists with firsthand experience of the challenges facing businesses, municipalities, nonprofits, and communities who want to become more sustainable. NYSP2I provides the practical tools and solutions needed to realize the benefits of sustainability for the economy, environment, and society as a whole. In addition to overseeing all programs, operations, finances, and staff members, high priorities for the Director of NYSP2I include:
- Leading and supporting development of strategies, priorities, and plans for NYSP2I, working closely with the NYSDEC to ensure alignment with State priorities.
- Staying abreast of the State’s environmental challenges and opportunities, exploring creative solutions, and developing and presenting innovative programs and initiatives to NYSDEC to improve environmental outcomes for NYS.
- Recruiting and onboarding additional staff to ensure NYSP2I has the talent and capacity to achieve its annual work plans and long-term strategic plans.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with partners, industry, government, non-government organizations, and other significant stakeholders.
- Networking regularly throughout New York State to promote NYSP2I, encourage environmental stewardship, and engage with partners, stakeholders, and thought leaders.
- Pursuing additional and diversified funding to grow programming and to sustain NYSP2I.
- Ensuring that NYSP2I’s relationship with NYSDEC remains strong and mutually supportive.
- Maintaining tangible and practical solutions to pollution prevention while growing research capabilities.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
- Master's degree in a technical field of study, such as engineering, chemistry, environmental studies, sustainability, or related fields, with a PhD strongly preferred.
- A minimum of ten years of related work experience with at least five of those years in a technical P2, green chemistry, environmental science, or sustainability position.
- At least five years of senior leadership experience with direct supervisory responsibility.
Skills and Qualities:
Executive Leadership with Project Management Acumen
- Able to lead the development and execution of the Institute’s annual work plans, ensuring that proposed projects are aligned with NYSDEC priorities and goals and that all deliverables are met timely and effectively.
- Experience developing long-term strategic plans including the consideration of innovative research programs in collaboration with government sponsors, industry, the Associate Director, and research staff.
- Skilled at overseeing program managers in planning and executing the Institute’s diverse array of programs while informing reports and presentations.
- Partnership mentality, with the ability to develop and collaborate with GIS senior staff to promote multidisciplinary approaches to problem solving and leverage the broader GIS resource pool to achieve mutually aligned goals.
- Able to offer technical expertise to oversee the analysis of targeted industry sectors and other focus areas for NYSP2I.
Relationship Builder, Networker, and Collaborator with Excellent External Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain relationships with NYSP2I partners, industry, government, non-government organizations, and prominent stakeholders.
- Work closely with the NYSDEC to ensure efficient delivery of programs aligned with NYS priorities.
- Engage Partner Universities to inform and support the Institute’s annual work plan.
- Collaborate with MEPs in support of direct company assistance and sector outreach projects.
- Commitment to traveling throughout NY State to promote the Institute, encourage environmental stewardship, and engage with partners, stakeholders, and thought leaders on a regular basis.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to deliver presentations that introduce concepts, tools, and skills for pollution prevention adoption and implementation at regional, state-wide, and national conferences, events, symposia, and meetings.
- Inspirational leader who can recruit a diverse, multi-interest Advisory Board and facilitate meetings to identify priorities, determine targeted industry sectors, and gain insight into emerging focus areas.
- Able to inform the Institute’s marketing activities, providing direction on messaging and guidance to NYSP2I marketing staff to develop a comprehensive communications and marketing strategy.
Financial Manager and Resource Developer
- Financial acumen with the ability to develop annual and long-term operating budgets and financial reporting in conjunction with the GIS Finance Director.
- Able to optimize program funding and maximize NYSP2I activities while remaining within budget.
- Track record of pursuing additional funding sources and developing proposals to supplement the NYSDEC contract.
Engaged Leader of People and Culture
- Experienced at hiring, onboarding, overseeing, motivating, and developing a highly trained, passionate, and cohesive professional staff who are held to high levels of accountability.
- Skilled at evaluating and creating an organizational structure that maximizes the contribution of a small staff and minimizes silo effects.
- Able to create a work culture that is compassionate, friendly, and collaborative across GIS and to implement the human resource best practices of RIT.
- Model and promote high standards of professionalism, integrity, and leadership.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position paid within RIT’s 124A Wage Band. The position is 100% in-person at the Rochester, NY Campus. As a member of the RIT community, a comprehensive employee benefits package is offered with multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. An employee can tailor benefit elections to meet personal needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for the employee and family, to name a few).
Application Process and Additional Information
RIT is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, RIT provides exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. RIT is dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
This executive search is being conducted by Eos Transition Partners consultant, John Tarvin. All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential, and any questions can be submitted to John at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates must include a resume and a cover letter that describes how qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of NYSP2I. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but applications received by April 30, 2023 will be prioritized. Upload required documents to: https://eostransitions.applicantpool.com/jobs/.