Do you have a passion for renewable energy? Are you looking for a career with a growing organization where you can make a difference and have fun doing it? If so, keep reading!
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We help people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights. Our organization is growing, and we are looking for a Digital Director to join our team!
About the position
Our Digital Director will collaborate organization-wide to build and maintain digital systems and processes that ensure our work has the highest impact possible. They will work with organizational stakeholders to develop a program that allows all of SUN to adapt to the changing digital landscape and supports organizational growth.
- Manage SUN’s website. The Director is the primary person in the organization responsible for the functioning and content of SUN’s website. The Director will monitor site performance, consult with staff, and identify and implement needed changes. They will regularly provide briefings to the senior management team on website metrics and performance using Google analytics, heat maps, and other tools as needed. The Director will manage website standards and processes, and regularly collaborate with staff to ensure their core programmatic needs are being met by the website. They will triage issues, scope and select contractors, and coordinate among developers to ensure the website is optimizing organizational needs. They will hire and manage a digital associate for on-going maintenance, updates, and urgent fixes to the site. Website issues include:
- Ensuring content updates are made/spot fixes
- Restructuring and redesigning as needed
- Integrating with plugins and other tools and CRM
- Manage SUN’s email program. The Director will ensure that the whole of SUN’s broad collection of email campaigns ranging from solar co-op recruitment, to advocacy, to education, events promotion, and fundraising equals more than the sum of the parts. They will ensure calendarization of emails, manage the flow and segmentation of outgoing messages, help suggest and build communication arcs, and help integrate diverse goals into the overall suite of email programming. They will be the final decision maker on conflicts over frequency, timing and flow. They will ensure emails are properly structured, that forms and sign ups work and that links are tracked.
- Manage SUN’s social media program. With the help of a digital associate under their supervision and Communication associates, they will ensure the strategic use of social media to enhance all of SUN’s mission and goals. Content and goals will be driven by the program, the strategic choice of social media outlet, the timing, and the management of a social media promotion budget will rest with the Digital Director. They will also manage our Facebook groups and our listservs.
- Drive list growth and monitor performance. The Director will be responsible for our aggressive list growth goals and a list growth budget. The Director will work on paid lead generation as well as aggressively seek opportunities organization-wide to promote and achieve organic growth via our networks, collaborations, advocacy, and educational activities. They will manage, onboard, and cultivate a significant number of new people coming to our network via referrals from installers, credit unions, and other allies. The Director will monitor and report on email performance, balance list health and our email sender reputation with list growth, and evaluate and recommend changes to our communications strategies. They will also manage google grants and other digital strategies to increase SEO and bring eyes to SUNs website and work.
- Support Communications, Advocacy, Go Solar, Outreach and Fundraising. The Director will serve as a critical resource to SUN to continuously improve the digital implementation of our complex, robust, and growing program. Duties will involve helping to set up and evaluate digital fundraising emails including content, structure, A/B testing and forms. Advising and supporting communications team on digital ad buys testing and strategies and performance of action alerts, texting, petitions and other key activist tools and news. Support staff with promotion of events, outreach, webinars, and data tracking. The Digital Director will provide training when necessary and ensure staff have and can use the digital tools they need to effectively and efficiently do their jobs.
- 6 years of experience in advertising, digital strategy and media, or similar.
- Cutting-edge knowledge and experience leveraging online tools and resources to motivate targeted audiences. Track record managing and implementing a range of CRM, advocacy, fundraising, and volunteer management digital tools.
- Strong leadership and project management skills. Ability to work well with others and lead in a very horizontal collaborative work environment.
- Comfort with a remote distributed office, including tools like Asana, Slack, google office.
- Proficiency in digital marketing and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager, and other analysis tools.
- Good understanding of WordPress.
- Familiarity with all major social media networks including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, YouTube, and reddit.
- Excellent understanding of digital practices such as SEO, SEM, SMO, and PPC.
- Adaptable, versatile, and able to keep up to date with digital and marketing trends, and advancements in technology.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytic abilities, creativity, and attention to detail.
- Experience managing digital campaigns across platforms, and Salesforce knowledge is strongly preferred.
- Spanish fluency is preferred.
Why we love SUN
- Salary range of $60,000 – $85,000 per year
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Generous paid leave policy
- 401(k) retirement account
- Professional development stipend
- Fun, remote work environment or DC Office
- Flexible work hours
- Our vision and mission
How to Apply
If this sounds like a good fit, please submit a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to Emily Stiever at: Jobs@SolarUnitedNeighbors.org. Please include the title “Digital Director” in the subject line, and tell us how you learned about this opportunity.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. SUN welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and those with a non-traditional education.