Storyroot is a strategic impact studio that designs integrated sustainability strategies, drives purpose- aligned brands, and powers more meaningful connections with stakeholders. Founded in early 2019, we are on a mission to make purpose a force for positive change, ensuring environmental stewardship and social impact become more regular considerations in businesses’ core decision-making processes. We partner with conscious companies – especially consumer-facing brands in CPG, food, fashion, and tech – to integrate sustainability into their systems and storytelling, empowering them to affect change and grow more meaningfully. Our projects range from designing brand identities for sustainable businesses, to conducting supply chain risk analyses, to drafting and designing impact reports, all centered around having more authentic and intentional conversations with stakeholders. Learn more at: www.storyroot.com
Are you a data person that’s passionate about social impact and sustainability in business and curious about how data can help answer some of our toughest challenges? Maybe you already have some ideas about what those answers look like and are ready to tell balanced, data-driven stories that help to operationalize sustainability. As Storyroot’s Data Storyteller, you'll report directly to our founder and, day-to-day, you’ll get to do things like:
• Enhance Storyroot’s existing systems and productize our offerings, including our research and proprietary processes.
• Develop a suite of practical solutions that meet core business needs – particularly focusing on impact measurement and data analysis – and make impact reporting more equitable and accessible.
If the mere mention of data analytics gets you excited and you’re eager to make an impact alongside a team of like-minded individuals, then this role is for you. The Data Storyteller will:
• Enhance existing materials and processes to develop and maintain accessible, replicable back-end data measurement and management systems, as well as clear, easy-to-use dashboards that assess clients' sustainability impacts;
• Support the team in auditing, evaluating, and ultimately validating clients' policies and practices by bringing evidence-based perspectives that help deliver measurable change and bolster creative storytelling through the synthesis of qualitative and quantitative analysis;
• Develop materials to communicate the value of effective data management and educate on the use of back-end systems;
• Derive data-driven trends from clients' engagements with customers, employees, partners and other key stakeholders, and synthesize analyses and results into client-ready presentations; and
• Support the team in the management and reporting of clients' organizational sustainability programs, including bringing diverse perspectives to client engagements.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
We’re looking for a highly motivated and hard-working individual that is ready to bring energy, optimism, and versatility to the team. But, most importantly, we’re looking for a kind and honest human being. In addition to sharing our values, you (fingers crossed!) have the ability to:
● Synthesize large amounts of quantitative and qualitative data efficiently and effectively, while verifying the credibility of data and fact-checking sources to maintain high standards of source credibility, data reliability, and ethics;
● Present meaningful, data-driven findings quickly, coherently, and thoughtfully, and convey issues and solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences both verbally and in writing, in English;
● Develop data visualizations that illustrate clients’ social and environmental impact, including strengths and gaps, as well as use data to pinpoint where actions or intentions might be leading to unintended, adverse impacts;
● Use Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, with advanced proficiency in building formulas, running pivot tables and advanced Excel functions, managing and analyzing large amounts of data using data simulations, VLOOKUP and XLOOKUP, advanced conditional formatting, INDEX/MATCH, macros, arrangement of diverse functions, and sorting of statistics and related entries;
● Navigate corporate sustainability programs with ease and stay current on industry initiatives and standards. This includes being well-versed in internationally-recognized frameworks, including B Corp, GRI, SASB, TCFD, CDP, and the UN SDGs, the associated metrics and disclosure requirements for each, and the limitations of these standards with the ability to think strategically about how to address those gaps;
● Work well with cross-functional teams by maintaining flexibility, patience, and collaboration; and
● Push and challenge the team to think strategically, listen and learn proactively, and innovate, especially by nature of demographic identity.
Additional desired qualifications include:
● Experience with building user-friendly data products and cloud-based platforms by applying UX best practices;
● Awareness of innovative technologies such as machine learning, predictive analytics, and textual analysis to build models. Essentially, you have the full-stack know-how without being an engineer;
● Technical and coding experience, including R or Python;
● Experience with data visualization platforms like Tableau, Looker, etc.;
● Understanding of digital accessibility best practices; and
● Organizational and results-oriented project management skills with a track record of on-time delivery, especially while working remotely.
HOW TO APPLY
As part of the application, please submit a cover letter with your resume that highlights why you’re interested in this role and answers the question: “Traditional reporting can lead to siloing of impact areas that we know are interconnected. How can we use frameworks, like GRI, more effectively to overcome these limitations and demonstrate how sustainability metrics can be used to show a more comprehensive picture of a company’s impact?” No need to write a novel here, we just want to get a sense of how you think about impact (please keep your cover letter to 500 words or less). If you have a portfolio, please include it with your application! Please submit your application materials (resume, cover letter, and portfolio) with this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe14BdF2qL7lyTz8m122yBIfdm7_zFFr5DFSFAk17V16KLGsQ/viewform?usp=sf_link. The Storyroot team will evaluate all candidates’ resumes and supplemental materials, and follow up with next steps.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT STORYROOT
This is a full-time opportunity. We recognize that work-life balance often looks different for each of us, so working hours will be finalized once you’re on board. While this role can work from anywhere and is fully remote (not required to check-in at a specific office location), you must be authorized to work in the United States. Benefits currently include health care, vacation and sick time, and the potential for a professional development stipend. The salary for this position ranges from $85,000 to $95,000, commensurate with