Coordinator, Fisheries Oceans Operations
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Program Coordinator, Fisheries & Oceans Operations
San Francisco, CA or Raleigh, NC
Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they’re in peril – from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and other threats. That’s why EDF’s Oceans program is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature, while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our programs in the U.S., Latin America and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Program Coordinator is a member of the Fisheries & Oceans Operations Team. They will provide operational leadership and support for the Oceans Science team, ensuring smooth operation of day-to-day activities, event planning, and project management support for key initiatives. The Coordinator will also help provide administrative support, including scheduling, invoicing, expense reporting and other activities. In addition to coordinating day-to-day activities, the Coordinator will also work with other team members to implement improved systems and processes. The Program Coordinator will report to the Project Manager, Fisheries & Oceans Operations.
- Administer contracts for consultants, including drafting deliverables, processing agreements, and working with program staff and consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled and invoices are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Organize and execute key events, meetings and exchanges to ensure they effectively meet their desired objectives, including supporting agenda development, communicating with participants, researching and selecting venues, making travel and catering arrangements, documenting notes and key takeaways, and other tasks to meet attendee needs as relevant.
- Provide advanced administrative support to Oceans Science staff, as appropriate, including scheduling assistance, travel arrangements, processing expense reimbursements and submitting invoices.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities, projects and workplans for teams and preparing reports as needed.
- Collaborate with other members of the Operations Team on cross-programmatic activities, including the development of new project management tools, roll out of updated procedures, planning of program-wide events and other activities that improve the communication, coordination and productivity of the team.
- Support project management efforts by developing project timelines, coordinating activities among staff members, tracking deliverables and budgets, providing status updates and financial summaries as needed and supporting the implementation of necessary tools, systems and documents to foster project flow and maintain efficiency.
- Manage other administrative tasks such as supporting in-office events, meeting logistics etc.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree plus a minimum of 4 years of administrative experience in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment or a master’s degree with some professional experience
- Strong interest in operations, project management or administrative work
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner
- Ability to successfully handle and prioritize diverse, simultaneous tasks in a fast-paced environment while quickly adapting to changing plans and schedules
- Experience planning successful meetings and events, including making travel arrangements and managing logistics
- Experience with budgeting and processing of financial information, including handling invoices, preparing expense reports and reviewing budget information
- Excellent coordination skills and an interest in performing rigorous project management in support of highly visible work.
- Meticulous organization and attention to detail, including the ability to follow complex procedures and recognize inconsistencies in data
- Ability to work independently and to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Excellent judgment and discretion, including experience handling sensitive and confidential information
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface with poise and confidence with a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite of software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams and SharePoint)
- Ability and willingness to travel (up to 10% of time)
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 57,000 - 64,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/coordinator-fisheries-oceans-operations
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.