As a Sustainability Data Analyst, you will provide analytical support to both the Aviation and Maritime Sustainability teams by conducting a variety of data collection tasks and analyses for a wide variety of environmental issues, including developing and managing greenhouse gas emission inventories, estimates of emissions and energy reductions from proposed strategies, financial analyses such as total cost of ownership estimates, and other assessments to support sustainability goals and objectives.
- You will research, collect, manage, and analyze issues and data such as energy use, environmental impacts, activity information and cost/financial data to support a range of diverse sustainability strategies across Maritime and Aviation divisions.
- You will participate in the development of environmental plans and strategies to meet Port environmental goals.
- You will conduct specialized studies, including researching and selecting methods of collecting and managing both Aviation and Maritime Port data to inform programs or decisions.
- You will design, construct, and manage online Aviation and Maritime data dashboards to help monitor, report on, and communicate progress towards Port goals and the performance metrics identified in the 2020 Northwest Ports Clean Air Strategy (NWPCAS), Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA), and the Maritime Climate and Air Action Plan. This includes emissions data, equipment inventories, cruise shore power connections, airline, airport, cruise and Port tenant passenger ground transportation mode split, and greenhouse gas emissions.
- You will conduct routine compilation and evaluation of utility data to compute Aviation and Maritime emission inventories, provide data for mandatory reporting to agencies such as the Washington State Department of Ecology, and to support the Puget Sound Maritime Air Emissions Inventory and data to support the Port’s Energy Management System.
- You will participate in and contribute to the development and monitoring of the budget for assigned projects and programs.
- You will coordinate contract management with the Central Procurement Office by providing information needed for contracts, contract amendments, and service directives; review and approve contractor invoices.
- You will develop educational materials and conduct presentations on general environmental issues and program requirements to Port employees, tenants, or the public.
- You will coordinate Port-wide reporting and communications related to Century agenda environmental, energy, and emission reduction goals.
Who you are:
Two years of experience may be substituted for one year of education:
- Experienced – You have two (2) years of experience in data management and analysis, data visualization, statistics and/or environmental sustainability work.
- Educated – You possess a Bachelors degree.
- Desired – We hope you have certifications in mathematics, statistics, computer science or data analysis or related fields. We also hope you have experience inventorying or analyzing carbon and other air emissions as well as energy-related, water conservation, and/or other sustainability data.
- Committed to Equity – You will apply equity and exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices in all aspects of the work. At the Port of Seattle, equity is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all Port employees.
- Strong Communicator – You are capable of effectively providing complex technical information both formally and informally at all levels of the organization and in both verbal and written formats.
- Relationship Builder – You are someone who can work effectively with a diverse array of stakeholders at various levels of the organization to build and maintain strong relationships and resolve problems while providing excellent support and customer service.
- Scientifically-Minded – You are knowledgeable about environmental policy and regulations, are highly organized and skilled in gathering, analyzing, and leveraging info and data to inform decision-making, and can creatively problem-solve and coordinate with others to develop solutions to problems.
- Technically Savvy – You understand principles for effective visual display of quantitative data and have advanced Excel skills, including spreadsheet design, developing complex formulas, and you are skilled at formatting and manipulating tables and charts.
- What else you need to know: Work Schedule – Your normal work schedule will be Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (40 hours per week). Slightly more flexible start and end times are available in this role.
- Work Environment – This work will take place in a hybrid remote/in-office setting at Management’s discretion.
- Washington State Residency Requirement – Employees must establish a residence in Washington state within 30 days of their first day of employment and must maintain a residence in Washington State during their employment with the Port of Seattle. If a position is eligible to telework, work performed while teleworking must be performed in Washington State.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement – Effective, November 15, 2021, the Port of Seattle will require that at the time of hire, and as a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be able to provide proof of their full COVID-19 vaccination status, as part of the hiring process. This is a condition of employment for all positions at the Port of Seattle. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Prior to employment, candidates may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
- Security Requirements – As the successful candidate, you must pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check as well as a criminal history background check with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Your employment will be contingent upon obtaining a Port of Seattle ID badge upon clearance.