Classification: Full time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Meetings & Membership
Location: Home office, 100% virtual. This is a nationwide search.
Applications: Applications are being accepted until position is filled.
Compensation: $75,000 - $80,000 annual salary
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to: 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance (employee only coverage), short-term and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, life insurance, 401(k), and generous paid time off (holidays, vacation, sick time) home office allowance, laptop & equipment, wellness reimbursement and a professional development stipend.
The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) seeks a highly motivated and results-driven Business Development Manager to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in business development, sales, communication, and negotiations and can create and implement strategies to increase overall growth and revenue.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Business Development Manager recruits and retains business members and corporate donors to AASHE. This position leads the planning, development, and implementation of membership recruitment strategies to increase overall membership and program growth. This position will also work to provide a positive member experience by assisting, engaging, and educating potential members about AASHE and its membership benefits and services. In addition, this position serves as the primary point of contact for prospective business members regarding member benefits, resources, and services.
- Setting strategic goals and plans for new business membership and revenue growth.
- Increasing the value of AASHE membership for current members while attracting new businesses.
- Identifying and pursuing new business opportunities; researching, planning, and implementing new target market initiatives.
- Pursuing leads and moving them through the sales cycle; negotiating and closing deals with new and existing businesses.
- Developing and maintaining solid relationships with key stakeholders; forming and nurturing long-term partnerships that lead to additional leads and closed deals.
- Collaborating with internal teams and external partners to develop and execute plans to ensure the achievement of fundraising targets, adhering to budget, and identifying future fundraising opportunities necessary for continued growth of the organization.
- Sets the example for providing the highest level of customer service, responding to inquiries and requests, and building valued relationships with members, non-members, donors, and other stakeholders.
- The Business Development Manager position will support the Director of Meetings and Membership in creating and maintaining a culture of wellness for the department.
*This is a newly created role, and the above list of duties does not encompass all of the position's responsibilities.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Bachelor's degree and five (5) years of experience in sales, fundraising, marketing, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Project Management: The ability to set goals, project manage work, calculate budgets, and collaborate with teams working throughout the organization is critical.
- Communication: Well-developed verbal and written communication skills are essential. Candidates should be great listeners, adapt easily to various audiences, build rapport quickly and efficiently, be highly persuasive, and cold-call prospects confidently. Likewise, ease with public speaking in developing and delivering presentations.
- Negotiation: Successful candidates will possess the business acumen to win trust, problem-solve, and understand when to compromise and when to stand firm.
- Collaboration: Understand how to influence and build relationships with collaborators internally and externally.
- Analysis & Strategy: Strong research and strategic analysis skills to benchmark the competition and stay in tune.
- Astute business acumen: Understands how businesses and the higher education sustainability movement work, makes sound decisions, and accurately assesses situations and/or people.
- Able to manage and maintain a fully functioning professional home office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion; and racial equity and social justice (RESJ)
PREFERRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with the national and/or international higher education sustainability landscape.
- Commitment to advancing sustainability in higher education.
- Experience engaging and working with communities of color, including fluency in Black, Indigenous, and/or Latinx cultural reference points.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Keyboarding
- Communication Skills: Writing, speaking, hearing, reading, interpersonal relationships, receiving instructions, giving instructions.
Occasional travel is required for this job, including the annual conference for up to 5 days at a time. Travel expenses are paid for or reimbursed by AASHE.