About Energize Ventures
Energize Ventures is a leading global alternative investment manager focused on accelerating digital transformation in energy and sustainable industry. Founded in 2016, Energize has funded 22 companies to date and is backed by strategic and institutional LPs including CDPQ, Invenergy, Schneider Electric, General Electric, Caterpillar, Hannon Armstrong and more. With an unmatched depth and breadth of industry and operational expertise, Energize works in partnership with its portfolio companies to realize their full potential from early commercialization to growth scaling and into the public markets. Based in Chicago, we partner with world-class entrepreneurs solving complex problems by providing capital and our unique operational and commercial support.
Become a part of the Energize Ventures team to deliver excellent returns and contribute to the firm’s reputation as the premier energy and sustainability technology investor. We are a small team with an entrepreneurial spirit, and this role requires flexibility, a diverse skill set, and an ability to perform at a high level on multiple fronts. We are looking for a driven and hardworking professional with exceptional knowledge of financial reporting and data analytics.
The Accounting and Finance Associate reports to the Controller at Energize Ventures. In their role, the individual will support and manage the portfolio company valuations process, investor reporting (quarterly and annually), cash management and budgeting for both the fund entities and the management company. This individual will also oversee data analysis of portfolio company key metrics, the fund audit and tax preparation processes, team expense reporting, and ad hoc reporting for both internal and external stakeholders. This role is designed to be highly dynamic and flexible to fit the needs of a growing young firm. The Accounting and Finance Associate will work closely with the Controller but will also regularly collaborate cross-functionally with members and leadership on the investment, platform and operations teams. We are looking for a contributor to help build and maintain efficient processes that can scale with our organization.
Working at Energize presents a unique opportunity to achieve professional development and growth while also making positive, sustainable impact on the world we live in.
This is a full-time position located in Chicago. The intended start date for the role is Q3 2022.
- Oversee quarterly and annual reporting of four Funds and fifteen Special Purpose Vehicles, including review of fund administrator data, financial statements, and investor reporting packages.
- Assist with portfolio company valuation models, including presenting valuations to the investment team and Investment Committee.
- Manage the capital call and distribution processes, including overseeing administrator investor allocations and formal notice preparation.
- Complete monthly close of Energize management company books and records, including bank and credit card reconciliation in addition to review and approval of team expenses.
- Assist with cash management and budget forecasting of both the Energize management company and Energize investment vehicles.
- Work with portfolio executives and investment team to track, consolidate and draw insights from portfolio company KPIs.
- Review and maintain internal records of portfolio company capitalization tables.
- Assist with annual audits and tax preparation.
- Respond to ad hoc financial requests from investors, portfolio companies and internal teams.
- Manage relationships and act as liaison between Energize and our fund administrator, tax providers and auditors.
- Develop and maintain accounting policies in accordance with U.S. GAAP.
Qualifications & Prior Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of public accounting experience; capital management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of GAAP Financial Reporting, general finance, capital management and tax.
- Understanding of management fees and carried interest structures and calculations.
- Knowledge of QBO (Quick Books Online) is a plus, but not required.
- Strong foundation of trustworthiness, ethical responsibility, transparency, credibility, and humility; team player mindset.
- Excellence in relationship management, with proven ability to effectively communicate with investors, portfolio companies, and the internal teams.
- Self-motivated, highly productive, and execution-oriented; commitment to the highest quality of standards and ability to deliver value-accretive outcomes.
- Capable of finding creative solutions and proactively identifying process improvement opportunities for a growing firm.
- Desire and willingness to learn, give and take feedback, and challenge conventional thinking.
Energize Ventures embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.