~~Visiting Senior Scientific Specialist, Technical
Illinois Sustainable Technology Center-Technical Assistance Program (TAP)
Prairie Research Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) is part of the Prairie Research Institute (PRI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. ISTC integrates applied research, technical assistance, and information services to advance efforts in the areas of pollution prevention; water and energy conservation; and materials recycling and beneficial reuse. Learn more at go.illinois.edu/PRIjobs.
ISTC is seeking to fill one or more Visiting Senior Scientific Specialist, Technical positions to collaborate with businesses, manufacturing and industrial entities, as well as municipal agencies, colleges and universities throughout Illinois to provide technical assistance in identifying opportunities and implementing solutions to improve efficiency associated with materials, processes, water and wastewater, and energy utilization. The positions may be located in Champaign or Oak Brook, Illinois.
The Technical Assistance Program (TAP) makes companies and communities more competitive and resilient with sustainable business practices, technologies, and solutions. TAP works at the intersection of industry, science and government to help clients achieve profitable, sustainable results.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO
. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identify and secure clients to engage to provide technical assistance services to within the Illinois businesses, government, and not-for-profit complex, including ISTC’s current network of clients, consultants, vendors, local/state/federal agencies, and private environmental and/or sustainability organizations.
Direct Technical Assistance to Clients
• Promote the implementation of sustainable practices, affecting their triple bottom-line (people, planet, profit); to include businesses, municipalities, and state and federal agencies
• Conduct on-site pollution prevention assessments independently and in conjunction with representatives from ISTC and partner agencies. Identify material optimization, water conservation, energy optimizations and efficiency and waste minimization opportunities within client facilities.
• Develop business cases for implementation of sustainable practices.
• Collect, compile and report environmental outcomes and project outputs.
• Contribute to project reports for funding sponsors.
• Assist clients with facilitation and implementation of ISTC-recommended opportunities
• Participate in pilot-scale projects for innovative processes in the area of industrial and municipal solid waste reuse, reduction, recycling, renewable energy and waste to energy methods.
• Collect, process, and analyze data from these activities for the purposes of identifying suitable technologies for introduction to U of I organizations and Illinois companies.
• Collaborate with U of I and industry to transfer the technology and knowledge to other clients and the research industry.
• Present technical reports/papers/data to clients at professional events/conferences regarding ISTC services and/or research results.
• Prepare and disseminate technical reports and publications to be published in professional journals, newsletters, peer-reviewed journals, etc.
• Keep abreast of development in this discipline.
• Work jointly with a number of varied constituencies while observing standards of professional conduct.
• Must be willing and able to travel intermittently.
• Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, economics, environmental or related discipline. Alternate degree field will be accepted/considered based upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position. Two years of applicable experience working in business or industrial environment. Educational internships may be considered as professional experience. Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to transportation. Effective communication, personal relations, collaboration, organizational, teamwork, and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly-employed software and databases. Must possess strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with other scientists, researchers, staff and PRI clients.
Experience in helping develop projects that lead to contracts; as well as understanding, identifying, and satisfying customer needs.
This is a full time, academic professional grant supported 12-month position subject to the continued availability of funding and programmatic need. Position may become a non-visiting position at a later date depending on funding and programmatic need. The starting date is negotiable and salary is commensurate with experience and skills.
Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu
and upload a cover letter, CV/resume, and the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses) for three professional references by November 26, 2018. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after the closing date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed
For further information please contact Hannah Dorsey, Human Resources, Prairie Research Institute or email@example.com
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz