The City of Boulder is a great place to live, work, grow and play.
With over 300 miles of dedicated bikeways and more than 150 miles of hiking trails, Boulder values active lifestyles and access to nature. Forty-five thousand acres of land provide open space for parks and a green belt around the city. With world class restaurants and art and music venues, The City of Boulder values diverse culture.
Respect is one of our five City Values (including Customer Service, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation) and we are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We celebrate and support our differences across all spectrums, including but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, disability and sexuality. Through our focus on Racial Equity, our employee benefits, and the many programs resources we offer our staff, we continually strive to weave respect for one another into the fabric of our organization.
Add your voice and talents to the City of Boulder and help us grow in service excellence for an inspired future.
This is a skilled position. The position emphasizes and involves a variety of knowledge and abilities in the field of trail construction and maintenance to include: excavation and grading of trails, carpentry, dry stone masonry, and operation of a motor vehicle, mechanized equipment and trailers. The Assistant Trail Crew Lead is expected to perform trail construction and maintenance under minimal supervision from the Crew Lead. Assistant Trail Crew Leads will assume leadership of trail crew in absence of the Trail Crew Lead. The position will assist the Trail Crew Lead in training and directing the work of people in the Crew Member position, Jr. Rangers, conservation corps crews, volunteers, and other groups and individuals assigned to trail projects. This position requires hiking up to 10 hours per day, carrying a backpack and hand tools, and working outside in inclement weather and in mountainous terrain.
• Driver’s license and ability to maintain and acceptable motor vehicle record.
• Acceptable background information including criminal history is required.
• Work effectively as a member of a team in potentially stressful and difficult conditions. This position requires problem-solving on an interpersonal and group level.
• Ability to follow and give written and oral direction involving task assignments and safety protocols.
• Ability to stay engaged and motivate others with the task at hand for up to 10 hours at a time, especially when tasks are repetitive and physical in nature.
• Contribute to a safe learning environment; willing and able to work in a collaborative manner to help carryout trail program objectives.
• Effectively communicate ideas and concerns as they arise directly to supervisors, colleagues and organization staff.
• Represent the City of Boulder and Open Space and Mountain Parks with integrity to the public and project partners at all times.
• Assist the Trail Crew Lead in providing work leadership and training to crew members and other work crews in essential skills necessary to safely and effectively carryout trail program objectives.
• Ability to keep accurate records, organize information, and follow established procedures.
• Ability to perform risk and hazard analysis and implement proper safety controls; ability to judge weather conditions.
• Ability to identify what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it
• Ability to operate and use specialized equipment including trail dozers, excavators, power carriers, gas powered rock drills/breakers, winch and rigging equipment, chainsaws, grinders and sharpening tools, etc.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
You will receive training on operating machinery, chainsaws, rigging, wilderness first aid, trailer backing and towing, project management and scheduling coordination skills, and working with people with a variety of experience levels.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting in January. Interviews will start in late January.
This job posting is "continuous" or "open until filled" which will close when qualified candidates are identified and/or hired.
As part of the City of Boulder hiring process a background check, DMV, and general reference check will be performed.
The City of Boulder provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz