The Office of Sustainability works with the GW community to build a greener campus, offer more sustainable dining options, and improve the social and environmental impact of the business practices of the university.
The Sustainability Specialist, Project Management leads and manages projects and systems that contribute to a healthy and thriving campus for the Office of Sustainability. Under the supervision of the Director, Office of Sustainability and in coordination with team members in the Office and the Division of Operations, the position works closely with partners across the university and in the community, more specifically the core duties are:
• Manages the implementation and monitors progress of projects that improve the university’s impact on ecosystems in an urban setting, with the intent to enhance social equity and economic prosperity.
• Projects may have educational components for students, staff, and faculty.
• Focuses on strengthening habitat and optimizing natural space (grounds), fostering clean and abundant fresh water systems, supporting sustainable food production systems, optimizing waste decomposition and treatment, promoting healthy air and climate, and encouraging a natural urban environment that helps enhance physical, mental, and social well-being.
• Provides input to the university’s sustainability vision and strategy based on current technology and policy; provides guidance on best and next practice for projects in higher education and other sectors; and monitors pending regulations and other forms of governance that may affect implementation of GW sustainability projects in positive and/or negative ways.
• Analyzes the viability of proposed projects and investigates practical financing options with input from GW finance, budget, development, and other offices with fiscal responsibility at both the university and school level.
• Facilitates organizational change by launching and integrating new processes and projects into the institution through key partnerships with cross-functional GW teams and divisions, as well as external private, public, and non-profit organizations.
• Forms trusted and effective relationships and partnerships, and the manages such partnerships in a way that leads to mutual benefit in the implementation of sustainability programs and projects.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• In addition to having in-depth knowledge on sustainable development and wanting to work in the Office of Sustainability, the successful candidate will have excellent writing and speaking skills.
• Post-secondary coursework in business and/or environment is desired, along with a talent for relationship building and collaborative work.
• Strong knowledge of the issues of sustainable energy and climate change, water conservation and quality, sustainable food, zero waste, and/or urban biodiversity is highly desirable.
• Experience and skills at managing process projects, and cross-functional teams, and in facilitating group processes and meetings, as well as in change management.
• Highly motivated and self-directed, comfortable working in a loosely structured environment both independently and as part of a team, willing and able to assume a high level of responsibility for a project from start to finish, show initiative to seize and develop new opportunities, and persistence with organizational change.
• Two years of the related experience should be within the specialty of the degree.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrating tact and diplomacy to consistently interact effectively and flexibly with diverse groups of people including executive management, faculty, staff, students and the public is essential.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz