Join Rahr Corporation for an exciting opportunity to leverage your expertise in corporate responsibility while utilizing your understanding of the food grade industry to drive the sustainability side of our business. You will will lead the advancement of a comprehensive, company-wide strategic sustainability program focused on utility management, advancing sources of renewable energy, and the creation and sourcing of sustainable products. Responsible for program development, execution, management, and measurement of sustainability initiatives using Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), you are driven to succeed in this highly visible role and emerging career path. You will build your credibility as a sustainability subject matter expert and display your professionalism and adaptability as you engage employees, internal stakeholders, and the community through concise verbal and written presentation skills. If you are looking for an opportunity to really impact the business and manage exciting process improvements across the organization, join our team today.
Based out of our headquarters in Shakopee, MN, your main mission as our Sustainability Manager will be to will ensure that the company’s sustainability efforts enhance business performance and support the long-term interests of Rahr Corporation. As a dynamic leader, you will be accountable for providing direction and guidance, initiating and facilitating strategic cross-organizational collaborations, and engaging with external partners, including public agencies, as necessary. Creating employee communications and engagement around a culture of sustainability is another key area of focus. This position will report to the Chief Operations Officer with oversight by the full executive team and Board of Directors. Attention to detail and a positive, proactive work ethic will be critical in this role. Strong communication and technical skills with Microsoft Office products are expected. Join us today to take your career to the next level with an industry leader in a position that requires a balance between solid sustainability skills and the professional finesse to communicate and interact with various teams in this exciting position!
• Lead Rahr’s long-term sustainability vision, mission and operating principles, and advance the development of a high-level strategy for support.
• Identify and collaborate with key internal functions and groups (e.g., plant management, engineering, food safety, marketing) to roll-out the coordinated sustainability implementation plan.
• Build sustainability principles into short and long-range business planning, capital planning, and operations planning.
• Lead the established internal Sustainability Leadership Committee to help shape and oversee the launch of Rahr’s Sustainability Program. Define the scope of the Committee, short term and long term. Appoint additional Committee members, define duties and assign the Committee accountabilities.
• Serve as the internal leader and expert for sustainability, monitoring emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating others on environmental and social responsibility topics.
• Identify, select and manage external vendors for projects such as, but not limited to, malt bag recycling, carbon footprint assessments, water and energy audits.
• Support the interface with government agencies and departments, domestic and international, relating to the company's responses to questions or statements of position on sustainability-related matters.
• Foster a culture of sustainability through ongoing organizational communications, employee education, and strong intersections with philanthropic giving.
• Facilitate internal and external communications and visibility as the company spokesperson on sustainability issues. Create and implement communication strategies to publicize the company’s sustainability efforts and promote broad awareness of sustainability initiatives, both internally and externally.
• Review marketing materials, branding and positioning strategies, and marketing action plans to ensure messaging exemplifies Rahr’s commitments to sustainable business operations.
• Build effective partnerships with external organizations to support sustainability efforts and philanthropic giving.
• Measure and monitor progress against sustainability strategies, objectives, and performance targets.
• Ensure appropriate internal controls, measurement systems, and reporting systems are in place to support sustainability efforts.
• Represent Rahr’s sustainability program at industry-related speaking events, interviews and panels. Serve as a global resource for current and future industry trends, innovation, delivery model, and environments of future concepts, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, science, management, sustainability required; master’s degree preferred.
• 3+ years’ experience in a sustainability position, ideally in leadership.
• Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Project, PowerPoint, and Word.
• Ability to travel regularly with some international travel.
• Deep knowledge of social and environmental issues and NGO & regulatory landscape.
• Confidence to counsel company leaders on sustainability initiatives and strategy.
• Experience communicating and marketing sustainability efforts.
• Ability to develop and maintain a cost-effective operating budget.
• Ability to define problems, research issues and develop logical and practical solutions.
Rahr Corporation is a privately held, family-owned company established in 1847 and headquartered in Shakopee, MN. Rahr Corporation owns and operates Rahr Malting Co., the largest single-site malting facility in the world with additional operations in North Dakota and Canada; Brewers Supply Group (BSG), a craft brewing ingredient supply and distribution business with locations across the U.S. and Canada; and is an owner in Koda Energy, a renewable fuels co-generation power plant on its site in Shakopee.
Rahr Corporation has almost 900 employees. Our work culture remains family friendly and provides our employees with great benefits and work-life balance.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz