Sustainability Manager, Harvard Business School
Harvard Business School (HBS) is committed to Harvard's Sustainability and Climate Action Plan, which includes achieving a fossil fuel-free future. HBS Sustainability strives to build a healthier, more sustainable and inclusive community. We are committed to internalizing justice and equity in our sustainability work. Learn how we're addressing the challenge and opportunities of sustainability leadership through campus operations and community engagement.
Reporting to the Associate Director of the Office for Sustainability (OFS) and the Associate Director of HBS Sustainability & Energy Management, the HBS Sustainability Manager is an integral member of the HBS and OFS teams. The position will be responsible for leading engagement programs, communications, sustainability initiatives in partnership with relevant departments, supporting sustainable building operation and construction efforts along with networking and benchmarking to share and reapply best practices with the goal of addressing climate, health and equity.
The Manager develops and executes comprehensive project plans, proposes innovative ideas, strengthens, and creates relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including, senior leaders, staff and students and leverages best practices in change management. The Manager will be responsible for envisioning and executing policies, programs, tools, and resources aimed at building a culture of sustainability on campus along with collaborating on living lab opportunities.
1. Lead HBS sustainability engagement programs.
• Lead the volunteer staff Green Team which includes planning and executing sustainability themed campaigns, events and communications.
• Lead the Student Sustainability Associate (SSA) Program which employs 10 first year MBA students part time to run campaigns and complete projects.
• Lead the effort to further integrate environmental justice and social equity into our engagement programs. This includes ensuring all campaigns include environmental justice/social equity themes, planning a standalone environmental justice/social justice campaign and identifying related SSA project ideas.
• Actively support and leverage the ideas and energy of students and staff. Support student projects outside of the SSA program as needed.
• Lead the integration of best sustainability practices into Commencement and Reunions along with supporting other campus events.
• Create new tools, resources and campaigns.
• Assess, analyze and evaluate various programs, campaigns and resources, including tracking participation/utilization to determine effectiveness.
358057 Admin Pro/Indiv Contrib
2. Manage HBS sustainability communications in partnership with the Harvard Office for Sustainability (OFS) and HBS Business and Environment Initiative (BEI).
• Write sustainability newsletters and articles.
• Manage sustainability content on websites.
• Share HBS sustainability stories through social media.
• Plan and lead campus sustainability tours.
• Present to senior leaders, key stakeholders, students, staff and externally as needed.
• Lead the effort to further integrate environmental justice and social equity across our communication platforms.
3. Support HBS sustainable construction initiatives, which includes cutting edge healthier material and lighting goals.
• Participate in construction/renovation projects to ensure compliance with Harvard and HBS sustainability goals. Partner with Harvard's Green Building services or external consultant to provide sustainable building expertise and administer LEED or other sustainability certifications for larger projects. Provide sustainability oversight for smaller projects.
• Act as sustainability documentation point person for certifications (i.e. LEED, Green Restaurant Association, etc.) and/or Harvard/HBS goals.
4. Support interdepartmental sustainability partnerships.
• Support existing department partnerships with groups such as the Business and Environment Initiative, Restaurant Associates (HBS Dining), Custodial, Events, Fitness, Executive Education and Harvard Innovation Lab in collaboration with the Associate Director. Provide agenda items and presentations on relevant topics to drive further sustainability progress.
• Collaborate with the Associate Director to expand departmental partnerships going forward. Help identify annual objectives and develop program work-plans in partnership with the relevant departments.
5. Assist and manage other sustainability initiatives.
• Collaborate on long-term goal planning and strategy for the HBS campus.
• Collaborate with the Associate Director on the identification of new programs and projects that would progress the HBS Sustainability goals. For example, this could include initiatives on environmental justice, social equity, food, transportation, purchasing and waste. Work with relevant departments and external vendors to develop project proposals and execute projects.
• Collaborate with the Associate Director to identify living lab opportunities to test and pilot sustainability research on campus from Harvard students and faculty.
• Manage initiatives that are owned by the HBS Sustainability Team (such as the HBS Bike Masterplan or the HBS Bees).
• Track and analyze data as needed, such as our waste program data.
6. Support networking and benchmarking efforts.
• Research best practices in sustainability, including benchmarking peer institutions.
• Assist with the Harvard Energy Sustainability Professionals Network, which is an informal network for sharing best practices and look for other mechanisms for cross fertilization of ideas.
• Participate in weekly Office for Sustainability meetings and the Harvard Green Team to identify best practices at other Harvard schools.
• Attend internal/external trainings, information sessions and conferences to identify best external practices.
7. Perform other duties and work on special projects as needed.
• Bachelor's Degree
• Minimum 5-7 years of experience in successful project plan development, management & implementation.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of sustainability industry trends.
• Excellent relationship building, interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
• Proven ability to think critically, solve problems and conduct research and analysis.
• Proven ability to work independently and as part of a larger team.
• Possess creativity, enthusiasm, high energy and adaptability to initiate new creative ideas and deliver results in constantly changing environment.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Requires occasional work outside of normal business hours (including but not limited to student meetings and events).
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Proficiency in MS Office suite. An ability to learn Harvard systems and web software quickly is a requirement. Proficiency in Photoshop or other design software is a plus.
Emergency Status Designation: non-critical
This role is considered non critical personnel and may be eligible for flexible work arrangements in accordance with departmental and university policies and manager approval.
Harvard University Central Administration's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others and embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. We aim to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that each of us experience a profound sense of inclusion and belonging.
Office for Sustainability
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/Z4bJQ2iWwrRoFVjgTd4wA
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz