Apex is seeking an analytical action-oriented Solar Energy Analyst to play a critical role in developing our early stage and detailed engineering stage projects. This position reports to the Director of Project Management and is part of a dynamic, collaborative, entrepreneurial team. The Solar Energy Analyst is responsible for analyzing data from various sources and preparing energy analyses, project layout designs, energy loss calculations, and providing general guidance to inform and optimize development, financing, construction, wind hybridization, and operation of our solar projects. The position interacts with multiple departments to ensure relevant data and analysis drives decision making and overall project quality and will be exposed to all aspects of the solar asset management life cycle. The candidate for this position should be adaptable and capable of working with an energetic team of professionals and should be familiar with basic principles of solar energy assessment.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can support projects from a variety of viewpoints. The Solar Energy Analyst position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and have the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
Time: Full Time
Your primary responsibilities in this role will include:
· Solar photovoltaic energy assessment, plant design, and optimization to support the technical needs of projects in development, financing, construction and operation.
· Secure, assimilate, and synthesize high quality data to conduct accurate resource and energy assessments and project designs.
· Identify and acquire observations from long-term satellite sources to conduct long-term solar irradiance resource “tuning” and analysis.
· Manage and create spatial data in geographic information systems to support assessment, design, and optimization of projects.
· Design and optimize solar plants in the pre-construction phase of project development.
· Model utility and distributed-scale solar energy plant models in PVSyst and other software to produce energy predictions.
· Analyze and apply losses and uncertainty estimates for plant production estimates.
· Coordinate and evaluate consultants and independent engineers on 3rd party assessments as needed and to support financing or diligence from counterparties.
· Develop comprehensive layouts in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, or other CAD software that provide spatial guidance and configurations for our electrical, civil, project management, and finance teams.
· Support Asset Management in analysis and understanding of operating solar plant performance relative to pre-construction energy estimates.
In order to succeed as a Solar Energy Analyst at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
· Bachelor's degree or higher (Master’s degree preferred) in Electrical Engineering, Atmospheric Science, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Environmental Resource Engineering or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Software requirements: PVSyst, CAD, SAM and Microsoft Office. Positive consideration given for candidates with Visual Basic, Python, and R or other programming experience.
· Experience with databases and general understanding of information technology and database design and administration.
· Knowledge, both technical and commercial, of how renewable energy assets are developed, constructed, operated and financed
· Demonstrated ability to think creatively to solve scientific and technical problems is required.
· Demonstrated ability to work across cultures, business units, and with external parties to influence people and drive change in the best interest of Apex Clean Energy and our projects is required.
· Strong communication skills in both verbal and written form are required.
· Professional appearance and manner.
· High attention to detail.
· Must be willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
· Remote work may be approved for the right candidate
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz