Genomatica develops commercial biobased processes to make widely-used chemicals that enable better, more sustainable everyday products. That enables our partners and leading brands to offer better food packaging, auto parts, clothing, tires, carpets, and more.
We’ve commercialized processes for bio-BDO (for plastics) and for biobased butylene glycol (for cosmetics); and our technology drives the world’s first commercial-scale biobased plant for a major intermediate chemical. We’re working on polyamide intermediates (nylon) and on butadiene (tires); and we’re helping numerous companies with their bioprocesses. We have more on the way.
Genomatica is seeking a highly motivated Senior Research Associate, High Throughput Cloning to join the Operations and Analytics team. This group is responsible for construction, characterization, evolution and fermentation of host strains. The successful candidate will utilize her/his knowledge of molecular biology for cloning of relevant genes into various single-gene and multi-gene DNA constructs using a high-throughput, automated platform.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Assists in conducting basic laboratory experiments, applying defined protocols and procedures; generates reproducible and reliable results.
• Isolates, clones and sequences DNA.
• Generates complete annotated plasmid maps for all DNA constructs.
• Performs PCR experiments and uses prepared templates for cloning.
• Analyzes sequencing results with DNA analysis software (Sanger sequencing, NGS).
• Maintains accurate and complete records of all prepared DNA constructs.
• Compiles records and maintains data on results of analysis and communicates results to supervisor.
• Clearly documents and maintains laboratory notebooks and computer files in LIMS.
• Operates standard laboratory equipment as well as high-throughput equipment, such as liquid-handling robots and Caliper Lab Chip.
• May conduct routine small scale fermentation experiments and generate concise reports.
• May prepare reagents and chemical solutions as necessary to support the cloning group.
• Understanding of synthetic biology design principles preferred.
• Experience with Type IIs restriction enzyme cloning preferred.
• Experience with codon optimization for protein expression.
• As required by supervisor, searches, reads and comprehends relevant scientific literature.
• May support work of scientists for publication/ patent.
• Participates and contributes in group and project meeting as required.
• May share and contribute ideas within and outside the group.
• Attends seminars as required.
• Works in accordance with health and safety guidelines.
• Experience managing and mentoring junior team members as a direct supervisor
Qualifications & Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required in order satisfactorily perform in this role.
1. Education and Experience
Typically Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences or related field, and 4-8 years, or a Master’s Degree and 2+ years, relevant experience.
2. Knowledge Requirements
Must be proficient in a wide variety of bacterial cloning techniques including traditional restriction enzyme and contemporary techniques such as sequence and ligation independent cloning, Gibson cloning, Type IIs cloning, Golden Gate cloning, etc. Must be proficient with cloning software, preferably Geneious.
• Superb attention to detail.
• Ability to operate laboratory equipment (including basic maintenance and calibration).
• Good analytical skills.
• Knowledge of good laboratory practices.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Capable of explaining experiments in written or oral format.
• Proficient in standard computer/software programs (i.e. MS Office).
• Ability to exercise judgment within specifically defined practices and procedures; guided decision making.
• Capable of self time-management to complete tasks efficiently and within stated timelines.
• Capable of working effectively in a team environment.
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such, this position requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. Equipment is spread throughout two floors of lab space, so traversing throughout a large area will be necessary.
Genomatica is committed to providing exciting career opportunities in an environment that values trust, respect, openness, teamwork, creativity, enthusiasm, and diligence. We strive to create a culture that enables and encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We are committed to be a company where everyone feels they have equal opportunity to reach their potential. Everyone is accepted and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to Genomatica.
We promote the continued development of an inclusive environment that values diversity through Geno4All, our employee led Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee. We are looking for innovative, highly motivated, and collaborative people who enjoy the challenges and rewards of a company devoted to commercializing cutting-edge sustainable technology.
Check us out on our LinkedIn Life page. Genomatica is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz