Senior Manager, Corporate Governance
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Corporate Governance position is a full-time role, reporting to the Program Director, Capital Market Systems program. Ceres’ newly created Capital Markets Systems Program consolidates Ceres’ work on critical market levers that will help scale the transition to sustainable capital markets. The program includes Ceres’ initiatives on governance for sustainability, and sustainability disclosure, including climate risk disclosure, mandatory sustainability disclosure and the Investor Initiative for Sustainable Exchanges (IISE).
The Senior Manager will support Ceres’ project on corporate governance, which encourages companies and investors to put in place strong systems to assess, manage, and make informed decisions on sustainability issues. The project engages corporate directors, executives, and investors around the role of board directors on sustainability performance and oversight. This role will be based in Boston, MA.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Support the development and execution of programmatic goals for the corporate governance project.
• Develop and manage relationships with corporate directors, senior executives and investors, as well as partner organizations, in support of program goals.
• Contribute to the development and writing of research reports that provide more detailed insight on the issue of board oversight of corporate sustainability.
• Manage production, release and distribution of new research and articles that advance the issue of board sustainability oversight or governance systems for sustainability.
• Organize and facilitate convenings of corporate directors, senior executives, investors and governance experts
• Develop media messaging and communications materials, including op-eds, press releases and blogs.
• Partner with other Ceres’ staff on integrated program initiatives and events.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key programmatic partners.
• Partner with the Program Director in production of funding proposals to sustain and grow governance work with the Ceres Development team.
• Partner with the Program Director in funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders, with the Ceres Development Team.
• Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference and program events, to further corporate governance programmatic work.
• Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work.
• Travel as necessary.
• Graduate degree in business, environment, law or public policy or related field required.
• 7 years of experience.
• 5 years of experience working on corporate sustainability issues in the corporate, investor or non-profit sectors.
• In depth knowledge of corporate sustainability issues, an understanding of the corporate context and the socially responsible investor community. Background in corporate governance is a plus.
• Demonstrated experience in relationship management, particularly engaging leaders in the corporate or investor community.
• Ability to make strong connections between governance issues and articulate the impacts and implications for corporate actions.
• Demonstrated strong project management, business planning skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
• Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
• Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with communications and fundraising preferred.
• Team player that likes working in a collaborative and fast paced environment.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
• Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail software.
• Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted.
• Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying to this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz