At AstraZeneca every one of our employees makes a difference to patient lives every day. Each and every one of us believes that science has the ability to change lives and that to deliver this takes many people with many skill sets. When we deliver a life-changing medicine, that success comes from the efforts of all of our people. As a Senior Manager/Associate Director, Sustainability Reporting, in Gaithersburg, MD / Washington D.C. Metro Area, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In this role you will help build awareness and understanding of AstraZeneca’s sustainability strategy, ‘Securing our Future’, among employees and with key external audiences. You will drive the development, strategy, delivery and evaluation of sustainability reporting.
You will be the primary contact for VP of Global Sustainability on delivering the AZ annual sustainability report and liaising and organizing the submissions to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) and key sustainability data providers. You will lead in working with our teams to develop reporting benchmarks, KPIs and internal reporting processes including management of sustainability data so we can drive activities that achieve tangible outcomes for the business.
Cultural awareness and alignment with the AstraZeneca brand and external communications, previous extensive experience and knowledge of sustainability reporting and working on submissions to DJSI are key. Experience includes publishing sustainability reports for large corporations, knowledge of GRI, SASB, Integrated Reporting, CDP are strongly preferred. Alongside this, you will be expected to provide oversight and be accountable for bench marking global sustainability initiatives and industry trends in sustainability reporting.
You must be able to gain the trust and respect of internal stakeholders who will rely on your advice and guidance on reporting matters. Excellent writing, project management, planning and multi-channel sustainability reporting and experience is essential, with a proven track record for delivering innovative and successful thorough qualitative and quantitative reporting with a sound Pharma or large corporation background desirable. The often sensitive and material content involved, means that you are required to demonstrate exemplary personal judgment, initiative and collaborative skills while working as part of a close-knit, high-performing and flexible team.
- Lead development, delivery and execution of key employee engagement and reporting activities in line with the AstraZeneca Sustainability Strategy
- Lead the planning, development and delivery of the sustainability annual report and sustainability reporting in different reporting mediums; company intranet, corporate website and digital channels – internally and externally - working closely with colleagues in Communication, Corporate Affairs, Investor Relations, Media Relations and other functional teams.
- Lead the submission of the Dow Jones Sustainable Index (DJSI)
- Responsible for delivery of annual sustainability report and the sustainability section of the AZ annual report. Provides guidance to communication team on key messages relating to these reports.
- Monitors and keeps up to date on sustainability industry trends and programs to insure relevant applications to AZ.
- Collaborates with communication team to ensure alignment of Sustainability communications activities across AZ to maximize effectiveness and reach – drive innovation and transferring of good practice.
- Working closely with communication, advises and recommends to internal stakeholders, on sequencing of sustainability reporting for communication cascades, messaging, approach and style for planned publication and communications.
- Measurement of effectiveness of sustainability reporting and bench marking approaches and identification and delivery of value-adding solutions to drive improvements.
- Help define and tack company-wide sustainability metrics; drive use of data for improved performance and reporting of impacts for key areas,
- Help in problem solving, researching and troubleshooting sustainability opportunities and challenges.
- Manage the creation of reports and presentation in collaboration with communication team for the company internal and external stakeholders.
- Engage and lead management of contract resources to support effective execution of sustainability reporting activities as required. Oversees quality and compliance of work.
-Degree-level or equivalent qualification in a subject related to Sustainability; master degree in sustainability preferred.
- Significant (5-10 years +) experience of working in a fast-paced Pharma or large corporation’s sustainability team or specialized sustainability reporting role at a consultancy.
- Sustainability related background/demonstrable interest in sustainability.
- Technical knowledge and extensive experience of sustainability reporting and external bench marking submissions (annual report, DJSI) and stakeholder engagement
- Knowledge of Social and environmental issues and NGO landscape
- Track record of developing and delivering qualitative and quantitative internal and external sustainability reports –DJSI, Sustainability reporting to achieve tangible outcomes.
- Significant experience of managing different stakeholder relationships and confident at forging trusted relationships at a senior level.
- Experience of working in a highly regulated sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, backed by clear understanding and interpretation of data driven reports.
- Strong project management skills
- Sound Judgment combined with strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Excellent eye for detail, including visual and verbal brand identity.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities, stakeholder & colleague expectations and deliver consistently high quality outputs.
- Inquisitive mind set with well-developed critical/analytical abilities.
- Strategic thinker looking outside to bring new approaches to continually reinvigorate outputs and improve the effectiveness of approaches.
- High level of integrity, able to handle highly confidential information.
- Ability to instill confidence in others in a high-pressure situation.
- Proactive with high levels of self-motivation and personal accountability, bringing enthusiasm and energy to team, peer group and tasks.
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team.
- Resilient with a flexible approach.
- Abel to develop and maintain networks across business and cultural boundaries.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz