Founded in 2009, Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company focused on bringing utility-scale generation facilities to market, from site origination and financing to turnkey construction and long-term asset management. With a team of over 200 professionals and the nation’s largest wind energy project portfolio, Apex is a leader in the transition to a clean energy future. For more information, visit www.apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking an intelligent and driven Senior Electrical Engineer to join our Asset Management Team. In this role, you will use SCADA tools to develop capabilities that will enhance the management of our wind farms while helping to support a team of field operations professionals distributed throughout the continental US for troubleshooting issues and identifying root cause. The focus for this position is in support of the substation and collection systems at the wind farms using your expertise in protection and controls and the optimization of the wind farm output using big data platform. This position requires working hands-on with relays, meters, and SCADA systems in order to run and design successful tests, working with and applying regulatory requirements, and diving into protection and control schematics to troubleshoot substation and collection system issues.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. The Senior Electrical Engineer position requires excellent communication skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
Hours: Full Time
• Provide technical support and guidance to our Field Operations and Remote Operations teams regarding substation and collection systems
• Develop in-house control systems and tools for individual wind farms and Remote Operations Control Center
• Interface with engineers from power purchasers and regulatory bodies
• Manage and execute the electrical engineering aspects of NERC and ISO compliance
• Manage and execute the electrical engineering aspects of transitioning projects from Construction to Operations
• Power quality analysis for the windfarm grid
• Root cause analysis for trips and events
• Programming of RTU’s, relays, and other systems after commissioning
• Evaluation of OEM solutions and corrective actions
• Wind turbine and solar inverter diagnostics to support Asset Optimization
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in electrical engineering or similar
• Minimum 5 years related experience, energy related experience preferred
• Experience with programming of SEL/Orion relays and RTU’s. Subnet server and explorer is helpful
• Experience with the commissioning and maintenance of substations preferred
• Experience with development and troubleshooting of SCADA/Control systems preferred
• Ability to design and develop control systems and protection schemes preferred
• Ability to evaluate faults in the electrical system and determine root cause and corrective action
• Ability to work closely with cross-functional teams of internal and external resources
• Ability to process large amounts of data for predictive and power quality analysis
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to project a positive image of the company and cultivate and maintain positive relationships
• Ability to travel ~20%
• Ability to work in Charlottesville, Virginia