Are you driven to help create a more equitable, prosperous, healthy, and democratic future? Here is your chance to be a leader in the sustainability movement. As the Senior Director of Development for The Alliance Center, you can be a critical driver of growth in an organization that is walking the walk of sustainability. Don’t miss this opportunity to advance the priorities and impact of The Alliance Center, located in the heart
of Denver, Colorado.
The Senior Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in strategic decision-making for The Alliance Center. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Director of Development is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The Senior Director of Development both supports the Executive Director's fundraising activities and is a key fundraiser responsible for expanding and diversifying The Alliance Center’s funder base. The position requires the ability to create and implement a strategic development plan and manage development professionals. The Senior Director of Development must be confident in their ability to build a program that raises $2+ million annually, with the expectation of raising, cumulatively, more than $10 million by 2022.
The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build The Alliance Center’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Senior Director of Development must be an exceptional manager who sets high expectations and is passionate about enabling his/her team to meet those expectations.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• In partnership with the Executive Director, leadership team, and development team, create and oversee the implementation of strategies to identify and secure corporate, foundation, and individual partnerships that can grow revenue 200 – 300% per year for the next five years.
• Develop, implement and manage an effective development strategy that supports a state of the art LEED Certified building, innovative programming, and a community dedicated to transforming the world through sustainability initiatives.
• Own development team fundraising goals and lead the implementation of development strategies that diversify revenue streams.
• In partnership with the Executive Director and Chair of the Board, lead a Principal Gift initiative to
develop meaningful relationships that can be leveraged on behalf of The Alliance Center.
• Oversee execution of all fundraising development events, strategies, and activities in collaboration with internal and external partners.
Major Gift Development
• Develop a revenue growth plan that includes building a major gift program that drives significant growth; this includes working with The Alliance Center Board and Staff to identify, cultivate, and secure major gift support.
• Oversee the implementation of a major donor stewardship strategy that enables major gift partners to realize an outstanding experience through their charitable investment of time, advocacy, and financial support.
• Partner with the Executive Director and Board Chair to help them identify, cultivate, and recruit new board members who have both the propensity and capacity to advance The Alliance Center to the next level, increasing major gift opportunities.
• Serve as a primary development contact for major donors. Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of current and future major donors while mentoring additional development officer(s) with their portfolio assignments.
Budgeting and Pipeline Management
• In partnership with the Executive Director, lead the revenue forecasting projections for fundraising.
• Oversee the development team’s responsibility to maintain fundraising data integrity and accurate records that report on progress to revenue goals; help create entry standards to improve the quality and usefulness of the database.
• Collaborate with the organization’s finance staff to ensure that all proposal budgets, financial documents, and grant reports are timely, accurate, and aligned with organizational strategic priorities and grant obligations.
• Establish and own responsibility for a collaborative culture of high expectations for the development team.
• Hire, manage, coach, and retain high performing development professional(s) who effectively execute fundraising across various aspects of the development pipeline.
• Create a team-based environment where the team member(s) are supported appropriately to hit their individual goals and the collective goals of the department.
Local Advisory Board Support
• In partnership with the Executive Director and The Alliance Center team, help identify, recruit, and manage strategic Advisory Boards when needed and appropriate to advance fundraising initiatives.
• Develop strategies to leverage individual skills and connections of Board of Directors and Advisory Board members to advance personal solicitation of each, attracting major gift contributions with a goal of 100% participation.
Skills & Experience
Required skills and experience:
• 7+ years of experience in nonprofit fundraising.
• Demonstrated success managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources with a proven track record in corporate, foundation and major gift solicitation and cultivation.
• Proven ability to effectively develop and steward long-term relationships with high net worth individuals.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively manage development communications related to storytelling and advancing the case for support on behalf of the organization.
• Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term and trusting relationships.
• Strategic thinker with ability to manage short-term and long-term plans and goals, with a record of achieving results.
• Demonstrated successful management of a team of staff members.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside The Alliance Center.
• An understanding for and ability to passionately represent concepts of sustainability that advance Planet, People, and Prosperity.
• Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred.
• Belief in the importance of sustainability and the triple bottom line.
• Committed to succeeding in a team environment.
• Driven by results.
• Tenacious problem solver.
• Compelling conversationalist and active listener.
• Exceptional level of authenticity and integrity.
• High standard of discipline.
• Oriented by a growth mindset in a lean start-up culture.
• Comfortable relating to diverse people and personalities.
• Experience with donor database management best practices. Salesforce experience highly preferred.
• High level of self-awareness, humility, interpersonal skills, and emotional intelligence.
Reports to: Executive Director
Compensation & Benefits :
This is a full-time salaried, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. The Alliance Center
offers a competitive salary along with comprehensive health and wellness benefits and a progressive host of additional benefits including generous paid holidays and paid time off.
How to Apply:
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
with your cover letter and resume by the start of business on April 29, 2018 to be considered for this job. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration. No phone calls, please.
The Alliance Center is committed to building an organization that celebrates diversity and embodies inclusivity. We encourage and desire applicants from all backgrounds, ethnicities and walks of life to join our team and help grow a more inclusive sustainability movement that truly serves all people.
The Alliance Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or genetics.