The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
Our best hope for a brighter, more resilient future is to embrace sustainability on a systemic and massive scale. That’s why our alliance is built upon a simple, yet powerful idea: When we act collectively, we can create a world where people and nature thrive together.
The Rainforest Alliance is looking for a resourceful and results-oriented Senior Associate, Media Relations UK to join the Media Relations team within the Marketing & Communications Department. The Media Relations team focuses on earned media and thought leadership globally and consists of four staff.
The Senior Associate, Media Relations UK is responsible for promoting and protecting the Rainforest Alliance's reputation in the media, increasing our visibility, amplifying thought leadership, and strengthening our positioning, through UK media relations.
• Develop and execute the UK media relations strategy, spearheading media outreach related to Rainforest Alliance news, opinions, and thought leadership;
• Conceptualize, draft, edit, proof-read, and deliver pitches, media advisories, opinion pieces, briefings, and other assets;
• Respond to and field media inquiries, including a rapid response function. Handle appropriate follow-up, often on a short deadline, including facilitating interviews with Rainforest Alliance representatives and preparing them for interviews;
• Monitor mentions in the news; keep relevant staff informed of how the organization is covered in the news; propose reactions/comments;
• Give input on the global media strategy and plan and support its implementation and execution, in close collaboration with the other Media Relations Associates and the Senior Manager Media Relations;
• Act as first point of contact for UK-based media outlets; build and maintain relations with key reporters and editors; anticipate and respond to PR opportunities;
• Position spokespeople at key thought leadership events and preparing them;
• Support the Corporate Reputation & Issue Management team in managing potential reputational risks if media are involved;
• Support the Rainforest Alliance’s social media strategy in the UK.
• At least five years' experience in journalism, or public relations and media outreach, either as a journalist or working directly with journalists under tight deadlines
• Established media network in the UK
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, English Studies, or related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
• Talented writer with an eye for the heart of a story; flawless copywriting and copyediting skills; proven publication track-record, supported by writing samples
• Creative and strategic thinker with strong attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills, ability to interact with individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds; strong public speaker
• Strong interest and at least some experience in social and environmental issues
• Self-motivated go-getter, used to taking initiative and energetically pursing media leads
• Ability to work independently within a global team, with line manager based in Amsterdam
• Strong organizational skills; proven ability to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner
• Experience in non-profits and international environments preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: September 10, 2021
Only candidates authorized to work in the UK will be considered
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz