The Student Conservation Association (SCA) is America's #1 conservation service organization with the mission to build the next generation of conservation leaders. SCA seeks a Community Engagement Fellow who will help the organization grow events capacity and expand partnerships nationwide in support of the SCA mission.
The Fellow will support the SCA Events Team in planning and executing service events in locations across the country in Summer 2017. In addition, the Fellow will support other marketing and events initiatives to maximize the impacts of the ConSERVE service model.
This is a full-time summer fellowship position offering a generous weekly stipend. Fellows will serve June-August 2017, ideal start date ASAP.
• Support the SCA Events Team to plan and execute service events in locations across the country in Summer 2017.
• Assume responsibility as project lead for events in at least two focus cities, and travel to oversee events on the ground in at least one focus city.
• Act as a liaison with corporate partners, providing excellent customer service and professionally representing SCA in regular partner communications.
• Work with local and regional land management partners to identify and plan appropriate conservation service projects and conduct pre-event site visits.
• Serve as volunteer contact, overseeing registrations and communications on Eventbrite, responding to volunteer inquiries, and supporting recruiting efforts.
• Oversee teams of per diem project leaders, supporting leader recruiting and hiring and organizing travel for project teams to event sites.
• Coordinate with vendors to secure catering, sound systems, etc.
• Work with Events Team to order and ship all events supplies to project regions.
• Work with Events Team to create, print, and prepare signage and other marketing materials to support events.
• Contribute multiple blog posts on events topics throughout the summer and coordinate social media promotion and live social media on site at events.
• Coordinate event photography including identifying and hiring contract photographers, providing shot lists, and logging and posting photos from events.
• Support media outreach, serve as on-site media contact at events as needed, and assist in tracking media hits and compiling press clips.
• Maintain SCA safety and risk management protocols at events including creating ERPs, maintaining first aid kits and PPE, and overseeing safety orientations.
• Work independently to move project initiatives forward, with regular meetings with SCA Events Team (schedule arrangements to depend on work location).
• Availability for field travel August 7-11th.
• Bachelor’s degree completed or in progress, or equivalent work experience.
• Demonstrated experience in coordinating events and managing logistics while building strong partner relationships.
• Interest in corporate sustainability and employee volunteer engagement.
• Proximity to SCA offices in New York City or Washington DC, or flexibility to work remotely with occasional travel to SCA offices to meet with SCA Events Team. Some evenings and weekends with travel to other locations required.
• Must exhibit enthusiasm, flexibility, and professionalism when representing SCA to corporate sponsors, agency partners, and volunteers.
• Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, making independent judgment calls on the ground, and dealing with unexpected circumstances as they arise.
• Ability to maintain energy, positivity and professionalism in high-stress situations.
• High level of comfort speaking publicly to large groups.
• Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Past experience with blogging and social media management preferred.
• Experience organizing and supervising large groups of people.
• Knowledge of and experience with conservation work projects.
• Valid Driver’s license and driving record within SCA guidelines.
• Criminal background check that meets SCA standards.
• SCA Alumni encouraged to apply. Past experience as a volunteer with SCA or other conservation organizations highly preferred.
Please send cover letter and resume to Ann Pedtke, Marketing & Events Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org