RECYCLING AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT ANALYST AND WRITER
Posted Jul 06
We are seeking someone to support our recycling and materials management planning, analysis, and writing work. The person in this role will serve a range of clients and stakeholders in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
Key aspects of the work may include researching policies and best practices, conducting phone interviews, preparing literature reviews, and distilling and translating complex information into clear, compelling materials for diverse audiences. The distribution of work among these key aspects will vary based on project load and applicant skillset. We are seeking applicants with excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong quantitative and creative problem-solving capabilities. Examples of work include the following:
* Conduct research and interviews, analyze information and data, and synthesize findings into clearly written informative summaries, fact sheets, presentations, or reports.
* Research and track trends, issues, and policies related to recycling, composting, sustainable materials management, and resource conservation.
* Produce high-quality work products and deliverables—such as polished written reports, proposals, fact sheets, tables, graphs, and other presentation pieces—that uphold Cascadia’s “brand” and reputation for exceptional quality content and appearance.
In addition to research, analysis, and writing, work may occasionally involve conducting in-person outreach and education at businesses and multifamily housing complexes, hand-sorting waste samples (waste characterization studies), and supporting project managers with task planning, management, reporting, and invoicing.
This position requires a candidate with the following qualifications:
* A minimum of two years of professional experience, ideally working on recycling, composting, or sustainable materials management issues.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate complex issues clearly using clear, concise, and audience-appropriate language.
* Project coordination and task management.
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to handle challenging situations with tact and sensitivity.
* Excellent organizational and documentation skills, along with great attention to detail.
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks or projects, balance competing demands, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
* Excitement, willingness, and ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
* Patience, empathy, and a sense of humor.
* Excitement about, ability, and willingness to travel up to 30% of the time.
* Ability to work independently, with minimal guidance, as well as an ability to work effectively in a team.
* Spoken and written fluency in English.
Other highly desirable attributes include:
* Spoken and/or written fluency in a language other than English (bilingual or multilingual).
* Experience designing and administering surveys, including using SurveyMonkey.
* Graphic design capabilities, including experience with Adobe InDesign or Illustrator.
* Experience conducting outreach and/or communicating with diverse communities in residential or business settings.
* The ability to connect respectfully with people who have personal backgrounds different from your own.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position based in Seattle, Washington. The work may require flexible hours and may have include work outside standard office hours, including weekends and evenings. Occasional travel will be required, sometimes including overnight stays. Salary will be based on experience and is competitive with jobs in the environmental sector. We offer a generous benefits package, including health insurance for employees at or above 60% full-time equivalent, 401(k) with an employer match, life insurance, long-term disability, transportation subsidies, flexible spending accounts, and paid time off.
To Apply Please email your resume and cover letter and indicate “Recycling & Materials Management Analyst and Writer - [Your Name]” in the subject line. Your cover letter should address your ability to meet the criteria in the Required Qualifications section and highlight relevant experience, education, and why you are interested in this position. Please state where you learned about the position. This position is open until filled.