Public Engagement Manager
Posted Jun 19
Founded in 2009, Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company focused on bringing utility-scale generation facilities to market, from site origination and financing to turnkey construction and long-term asset management. With a team of over 200 professionals and the nation’s largest wind energy project portfolio, Apex is a leader in the transition to a clean energy future. For more information, visit www.apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking an energetic and action-oriented Public Engagement Manager to help craft, develop, execute, and manage Apex’s public support- building campaigns for projects in our portfolio, including media relations, communications, community relations, and grassroots advocacy. The Public Engagement Manager may also help manage Apex’s strategic partnerships, organizational memberships, and coalition memberships at the local, state and/or regional level.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. The Public Engagement Manager position requires excellent communication and writing skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. Our ideal candidate has demonstrated work experience crafting and executing community-engaging issue-based or political grassroots campaign plans that involve a multitude of internal and external stakeholders. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
Hours: Full Time
Travel: 20 – 40%
• Develop and Lead Local Support Campaigns, including developing and executing strategies for identifying local wind energy supporters, activating those individuals to engage locally, building relationships with local elected officials, building relationships with the local media, articulating compelling key messages about our projects, and maintaining a positive presence for Apex in the communities where we work. Maintaining and building strong contact database for projects.
• Cultivate Media Relations, including developing relationships with media reporting on Apex or its projects, developing responses to media inquiries, developing and distributing local press releases, preparing Apex spokespeople for media speaking opportunities.
• Manage External Communications, including helping to maintain and update project- specific websites, and managing project Facebook strategies, including content-development and tracking.
• Own the Messaging surrounding the project, including developing compelling messaging and positioning statements for local projects.
• Drive Teamwork and Coordinating with counterparts on the Apex development team to effectively plan and execute local support campaigns.
• A bachelor’s degree or higher in public relations, communications, political science, or a related field.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience working in public affairs, public relations, communications, community organizing, or campaign management.
• Experience designing and executing effective grassroots campaigns, whether political or issue-based.
• Ability to design and concisely document a detailed campaign plan.
• Demonstrated experience working both as a lead and as support on cross-departmental teams.
• Familiarity and experience working with common campaign tactics such as direct mail, radio/newspaper advertising, door-to-door canvassing, GOTV efforts, and social media advertising.
• Facility and skill in working with media to build productive relationships and produce positive press.
• Comfort and skill engaging with different types of people in rural parts of the U.S., including local elected officials, community leaders, and members of the public.
• Comfort and skill with de-escalating potential confrontations with individuals or groups that are opposed to wind energy or similar issue-based campaign.
• Experience building and executing effective social media campaigns that drive engagement.
• Ability to lead collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues and earn buy-in from team members.
• Experience managing field organizers or in-country support staff.
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work proactively and productively with limited supervision.
• Strong passion for renewable energy.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Design Suite, and familiarity with web-based content management systems (i.e. WordPress, Drupal, Perch, etc.). Ideally, familiarity with the NationBuilder campaign platform.
• Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity.
• Professional appearance and manner.
• High attention to detail.
• Up to 40% travel required.
• Must be willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or from our office in Minneapolis, MN.