Posted Nov 29
Environmental Initiative is seeking a full-time Program Manager for the Minnesota Sustainable Growth Coalition. This business-led partnership of 30 leading businesses and organizations builds upon our region’s leadership to advance the next frontier of corporate and global sustainability—the circular economy.
The Program Manager is responsible for leading a range of projects within the Coalition focused specifically on organizing and engaging with Coalition members around priority opportunities for collective action, promoting strategies to restore and protect our state’s water resources, decarbonize the energy system, and enhancing materials flow to reduce waste. The Program Manager has primary responsibility for designing, leading, and implementing projects that harness internal and external partner contributions to achieve positive environmental, economic, and social outcomes. In addition, the Program Manager will serve as a liaison with existing partners and funders and will also develop new relationships as this relatively new program area continues to expand in its scope and impact. The Program Manager designs, plans, executes and evaluates Coalition projects, and provides support to other Environmental Initiative projects.
The position reports to the Managing Director, Minnesota Sustainable Growth Coalition.
Anticipated initial projects include:
• Providing management support and leadership for the Minnesota Sustainable Growth Coalition, a business-led collaborative leadership group working toward a circular economy
• Leading and managing water, energy, materials flow and waste reduction projects in collaboration with the Managing Director, Coalition members and other partners
• Collaborating with Coalition members and partners to catalyze and facilitate private-sector innovation and systems change efforts in support of circular economy principles
• Exploring potential for new project areas that may include but would not be limited to materials, waste, supply chain or procurement
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Leadership, Project Management and Evaluation
• Manage projects including developing and maintaining work plans and budgets, identifying, tracking and evaluating project outcomes, and organizing and directing project team members, based on Coalition strategy led by the Managing Director to achieve the vision agreed to by members.
• Develop and maintain a diverse network of strong relationships between individuals from private, nonprofit and public sectors to increase awareness regarding private sector support for sustainability and generate opportunities for impact.
• Contribute to heightened awareness of and visibility for the Coalition’s activities, purpose, and results, including coordinating with partners to leverage opportunities for mutually beneficial impact and storytelling regarding the business case for sustainability to advance the circular economy vision of the Coalition.
• Assist members with internal networking to communicate the business case and leverage other opportunities to influence business practices to achieve the Coalition’s mission
• Coordinate events and meetings including agenda development, identification of strategy and objectives, facilitating discussions, and leading follow-up activities.
• Work with the Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer and other staff to develop viable business models, work plans, and budgets for new and emerging projects. Collaborate with other staff to integrate projects with long-term organizational strategies and with Environmental Initiative’s larger work.
• Integrate considerations of equity and inclusion into project implementation and partner engagement activities and strategies.
• Collaborate with internal staff and external partners to help plan long-term program strategy, including goal setting and adaptive management within an ever-evolving context.
• Assist the Managing Director with developing new project proposals and scopes of work and securing funding for Coalition projects.
Member and Partner Engagement, Communications
• Maintain proactive communications and ongoing relationships with Coalition members and external project partners.
• Work with communications team to plan and execute project communications to ensure member engagement and visibility of programs with external partners and decision makers.
• Participate in oral and written communication of project and organizational updates and outcomes to Environmental Initiative partners and the public (potentially including blog posts, email newsletter updates, event marketing communications, written project reports, and outreach and education presentations).
• Keep abreast of emerging trends and issues related to sustainability and the circular economy through reading, research, and engagement with the broader community.
• Lead outreach to maintain membership base and identify and recruit potential new Coalition members.
Organizational Strategy and Support
• Coordinate with and contribute to relevant projects in other Environmental Initiative program areas.
• Participate with other staff in reaching out to and recruiting new external partners.
• Support and coordinate with other project directors and project managers in the implementation of multiple projects at any given time.
• Support Environmental Initiative’s general operating activities, including communications and fundraising.
• Support Environmental Initiative’s annual strategic initiatives, including diversity, equity and inclusion capacity building and implementation efforts.
• Collaborate with other staff to develop and implement organizational strategic direction for Environmental Initiative.
• Participate in staff and board dialogues and meetings.
• Relevant Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least five years’ experience in managing complex projects, including budget responsibility and leading internal teams
• At least two years’ experience in a corporate, private sector business setting, preferably focused on private-sector sustainability efforts
• Highly skilled and effective communicator comfortable with meeting facilitation, public speaking, and written communications
• High tolerance for ambiguity, entrepreneurial spirit, and comfort with experimenting with innovative project design, approaches, and first-time activities currently without precedent
• Creative problem solver and solution oriented
• Outstanding team player and preference for working in collaborative teams
• Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to balance multiple projects and priorities
• Self-starter, with the ability to work independently and be self-guided
• Ability to both think strategically and manage logistical details effectively
• Proficient with Mac computer systems and the Microsoft Office suite
• Master’s degree in business administration, policy, management, sustainable development, or related field
• Experience facilitating collaborative, cross-sector environments to facilitate conversations or solve problems among individuals with diverse perspectives
• Experience building and directing projects with diverse funding sources and cross-sector partnerships
• Familiarity with basic principles of and methods for program evaluation
• Fundraising experience particularly with private foundations
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter and resume (preferred by email) to:
Amy Fredregill, Managing Director, Minnesota Sustainable Growth Coalition
211 North First Street, Suite 250
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.