Posted May 24
Leading Edge Equipment Technologies, Inc.
Are you passionate about the environment? Do you want to be part of a company that builds cutting-edge technology for American manufacturing and the environment? We are looking for driven engineering technicians who are interested in helping us build a patented technology that makes ultra-high-quality silicon wafers for solar panels. You will work with the experienced industry experts to gain invaluable experience on bringing high impact technology to market. Come work with a passionate group committed to making a big impact on critical climate-change-fighting technologies.
Leading Edge Equipment Technologies (LEET) is revolutionizing semiconductor wafer manufacturing. We are commercializing the first single crystal net shape crystal growth process with a dramatically lower-cost, high performance advantage over the 70-year-old incumbent technology. In the largest global wafer market of solar photovoltaics (PV), the LEET process can generate over $15BN of annual value and eliminate over 1 GT/year of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the manufacturing process alone (i.e., reduce the energy cost of making solar). After a decade of technology development and over 100 patents, LEET is developing this technology for a commercial pilot and market entry in 2022.
LEET was formed in 2018 as a technology spin-out from Applied Materials. Development has been financed by federal grants (>$4.7M) and private venture capital (DSM Venturing, Clean Energy Venture Fund, and Prime Impact Fund).
LEET is a fast-paced, versatile group of problem solvers. As a team of 18, we are rapidly growing and plan to add several new team members by 2022. Team members wear many hats, and we expect them to take initiative and ownership from day one. Developing strong communication and disciplined organizational skills are critical in this collaborative environment, as well as having a passion for commercializing next-gen, high impact technologies.
We are looking for a hands-on, detail-oriented, highly organized individual who is interested in making a difference in an exciting entrepreneurial environment. In this R&D role, the successful candidate will work as a part of a high caliber team developing a novel process for making inexpensive silicon wafers for solar panels. As an integrated team member, this individual will join a 12-person technical team comprising a range from young and talented technicians and engineers to seasoned startup and R&D veterans.
Duties will include working with our high-temperature equipment, handling of semiconductor components in a clean room setting, maintaining laboratory equipment, and helping the team maximize technology performance. Candidates should be able to follow detailed procedures, observe and evaluate outcomes of these procedures, make basic excel tables and graphs, and record details and results in an accurate, organized manner. The candidate should be able to work in a rapidly changing R&D environment, with the ability to identify issues, modify procedures, and make improvements throughout a system's development cycle. Ideally, the candidate should have experience with handling and processing of silicon wafers, high temperature furnaces, and common manufacturing and measuring tools like CNCs, calipers, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Calibrate, prepare, operate, and maintain our patented furnace technology for experiments.
● At the direction of the supervisor, executes test protocols to completion per instructions provided, which includes the manufacturing and testing of the samples, completing routine and non-routine assignments, reviewing the test procedures and data for accuracy and completeness, and summarizing and analyzing the data or reviewing summaries for completeness.
● Recognizes deviation from usual testing or equipment operation and makes minor adjustments if appropriate and communicates the need for adjustments with supervisor and the equipment owners.
● Retrieve data from computer systems and record all activities in a digital journal to help researchers further develop consistent procedures.
● Writes and/or updates basic procedures regarding equipment operation.
● Assists in interpretation of data from experiments/analyses, troubleshooting failures.
● Engage in continual system and process improvements with an eye towards increasing silicon wafer production and performance.
● Operate micrometers, vacuums, and basic machine shop tools.
● Regularly handle silicon, quartz, and carbon components in a Clean Room setting.
● Prepare silicon wafers produced from our patented equipment for testing and evaluation.
● Contributes to lab/shop organization. Maintain organization of R&D and production space, including equipment, materials, test samples and test documentation.
Required Skills & Qualifications
● Technical associate’s degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s degree is a plus.
● 2-5 years of working in a lab or development environment.
● Hands-on experience with vacuum chamber and high temperature equipment is a strong plus.
● Hands-on experience working in a clean room environment or with silicon wafers is a strong plus.
● Hands-on experience with calipers, thermocouples, interfacing with a PLC is a strong plus.
● Hands-on experience with high purity carbon, quartz fabrication, or semiconductor tool operation is highly desirable but not required.
● Good dexterity; sufficient to work with small and fragile components.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Willingness to work flexible hours on occasion to support the needs of the project.
● General knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and chemical safety is a plus.
● Experience in systematic troubleshooting and resolving technical related issues.
● Must be comfortable with operating benchtop machinery and performing repetitive tasks.
● Ability to use basic and complex tools in lab/shop area.
● Can follow and modify test procedures and protocols using templates.
● With limited supervision, has the capacity to visualize new solutions to problems.
● Welcomes creative ideas and solutions.
● Positive attitude and willingness to take on difficult challenges and to do what is necessary to advance technical goals.
● Work successfully within a team atmosphere.
LEET offers highly competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities -- all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
LEET is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
LEET does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that does not have a signed agreement with LEET.
Manufacturing Systems and Equipment