Genomatica develops commercial biobased processes to make widely-used chemicals that enable better, more sustainable everyday products. That enables our partners and leading brands to offer better food packaging, auto parts, clothing, tires, carpets, and more.
We’ve commercialized processes for bio-BDO (for plastics) and for biobased butylene glycol (for cosmetics); and our technology drives the world’s first commercial-scale biobased plant for a major intermediate chemical. We’re working on polyamide intermediates (nylon) and on butadiene (tires); and we’re helping numerous companies with their bioprocesses. We have more on the way.
This position will be responsible for executing lab and pilot-scale experiments that contribute to the development of novel processes to produce chemicals via fermentation. Technical areas of responsibility span fermentation and downstream separation steps such as filtration, centrifugation, chromatography, extraction, and distillation. He/she will lead our experimental planning, execution, and documentation. Mentor junior chemists and advise in setting-up/operation of equipment, collect experimental samples, perform sample assays, perform data analysis and reporting. The position is integrated with our process development team based at our innovation center in San Diego, CA.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the following.
Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Design, plan and execute experiments at bench and pilot scales
• Write experimental reports, complete data analysis, present results and make recommendations
• Propose ideas leading to new experimentation
• Identify opportunities for process improvements and drive execution of well-designed projects
• Set-up, operate and maintain lab/pilot scale separation and purification equipment
• Author documentation such as SOPs, testing protocols, methods, and batch-record sheets
• Run wet-lab assays, prepare reagents, conduct physical property measurements /quality control testing and maintain accurate and detailed record of analyses data
• Perform daily calibration, regular preventative maintenance and maintain instrument/equipment history logbook
• Contribute to preparation of Technology Transfer Packages (R&D to manufacturing) and provide on-site support and training as needed
• Perform laboratory housekeeping activities, and maintain a clean and well-organized work areas for maximum safety and efficiency
• Ensure compliance with Genomatica’s health and safety guidelines/protocols
Qualifications & Experience
• MS degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline and 3-8 years’ experience in the field of biotechnology, pharmaceutical or related scientific field.
• PhD in chemistry and 0-5 years of experience
• Organic chemistry, chemical synthesis, purification/separation, and characterization
3. Knowledge Requirements
• Organic synthesis, process chemistry, impurity chemistry
• Downstream processing and operation of separation and purification equipment
• Experimental designs, data analysis and reports
• Strong problem solving and creative scientific skills
• New product development
a. Excellent organization, prioritization, time management and planning skills
b. Mentor junior chemists and engineers
c. Enjoys laboratory-based research and collaboration with other chemists and engineers
d. Able to work well in cross-functional setting across other departments.
e. Capable of self-time-management to complete tasks efficiently and within deadlines
f. Excellent written and oral communication skills
g. Ability to interact comfortably, confidentially, and professionally with all levels of the organization and external customers
h. Team player committed to success and getting the job done well
i. Technological literacy with an emphasis on Microsoft Excl, Outlook, Teams and Word
j. Able to thrive in a high-energy, dynamic, team-driven work environment
k. Good analytical skills
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Comfortable using standard Personal Protective Equipment while in laboratory
• Some shift work may be required at times
• Mechanical aptitude operates laboratory equipment, basic maintenance and calibration
• Strong safety attitude
Genomatica is committed to providing exciting career opportunities in an environment that values trust, respect, openness, teamwork, creativity, enthusiasm, and diligence. We strive to create a culture that enables and encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We are committed to be a company where everyone feels they have equal opportunity to reach their potential. Everyone is accepted and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to Genomatica.
We promote the continued development of an inclusive environment that values diversity through Geno4All, our employee led Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee. We are looking for innovative, highly motivated, and collaborative people who enjoy the challenges and rewards of a company devoted to commercializing cutting-edge sustainable technology.
Check us out on our LinkedIn Life page. Genomatica is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz