Job Title: Nutrition Product Development Manager
Reports to Title: Senior Vice President, Specialty Chemicals
Genomatica is the leader in bioengineering. We develop commercial biobased processes to make widely-used chemicals that enable better, more sustainable everyday products. That enables our partners and leading brands to offer better food packaging, auto parts, clothing, tires, carpets, and more. We’ve commercialized processes for bio-BDO (for plastics), for biobased butylene glycol (for cosmetics), and chiral pure R13BDO for human nutrition. We’re working on polyamide intermediates (nylon) and on butadiene (tires); and we’re helping numerous companies with their bioprocesses. We have more on the way.
Genomatica is seeking a highly motivated Nutrition Product Development Manager to join the Specialty Products group to lead advancement of our product R13BDO and to launch additional ingredients into the portfolio. The position will be responsible for interpreting and following scientific progress within the ketonic ingredient progress and ensure Genomatica ingredients continue to be well positioned to participate on this market. The candidate needs to be versatile and agile as this is a high growth opportunity with limited existing support infrastructure. An ability to think on your feet, view mistakes as learning opportunities, and drive results will be key features for success.
• Responsible for launching and advancing nutritional products based on Genomatica’s fermentation platform into the human wellness and performance sectors.
• Design and implement product marketing strategies to support the growth of Genomatica’s R13BDO in the ketogenic nutrition sector
• Survey technical landscape for ingredient innovations relevant to the future direction of this portfolio
• Review scientific publications on ingredient safety and performance, and translate scientific findings to product specific marketing claims
• In partnership with our regulatory agency, design and coordinate any additional studies deemed necessary to fully substantiate product claims within the portfolio
• Direct branding agency to design a brand position strategy for ingredients within this portfolio that makes a strong connection with target users
• Liaise with academic/research partners to support the undertaking of key studies in support of product acceptance/adoption/models of use
• Prepare a science driven messaging matrix to map key product features to target customer needs
• Liaise with Quality Assurance/Supply Chain group to ensure product specifications and certifications meet customer/market requirements and to ensure sufficient product is available to meet forecasts
• Coordinate with communications team for the design and roll-out of a nutrition ingredient sales portal website, along with the implementation of a targeted PR, digital media and advertising campaigns
• Map customers and competitors to provide strategic input to management on partnership/growth opportunities
• Provide sales team with high-quality communication tools to enhance customer engagement
• Liaise with sales to build a 12-month rolling forecast and provide input to management on the 5 year business outlook
• Undertake product and market research in support of investment decisions to launch additional ingredient opportunities
• Identify and participate in key meetings/events to help promote the nutrition portfolio
Minimum Education and Experience
• Solid understanding of the keto nutrition market and the underlying technologies, participants and key trends of this market
• Demonstrated success juggling and delivering on product launch programs – comfortable with timeline pressure and engaging multi-functional groups
• Bachelor’s degree (PhD preferable) in relevant food science/health/life sciences field
• Technological literacy with an emphasis on Microsoft Excl, Outlook, Teams and Word
• 5-10 years product development, commercialization, marketing experience in nutrition/wellness; or equivalent experience
• Integrity – results matter, customer trust is paramount
• Grace under pressure
• A perfectionist that doesn’t let your attention to detail get in the way of meeting deadlines
• Able to thrive in a high-energy, dynamic, team-driven work environment
• Able to work smoothly with different types of managers and counterparts
• Care about your work and what your company is doing to improve the world
This is a fast-paced company and a hot job opportunity. Show us your initiative and great communication skills by checking us out and sending a resume and cover letter telling us why you’re the one. Please be specific regarding your results.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works primarily in an office setting, with occasional access to laboratories. As such this position requires to ability to use computers and office equipment, communicate with other individuals through a variety of methods. This entails the ability to sit and to reach, to talk and hear, stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. There are no specific lifting requirements. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We will consider remote-based applicants, was well as the opportunity to reside in San Diego. If remote, occasional travel to our Innovation center will be required.
Genomatica is committed to providing exciting career opportunities in an environment that values trust, respect, openness, teamwork, creativity, enthusiasm, and diligence. We strive to create a culture that enables and encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We are committed to be a company where everyone feels they have equal opportunity to reach their potential. Everyone is accepted and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to Genomatica.
We promote the continued development of an inclusive environment that values diversity through Geno4All, our employee led Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee. We are looking for innovative, highly motivated, and collaborative people who enjoy the challenges and rewards of a company devoted to commercializing cutting-edge sustainable technology.
Check us out on our LinkedIn Life page. Genomatica is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz