The Alliance is hiring a full time New Orleans Policy Manager to promote energy efficiency, renewable energy, and consumer protection, within the New Orleans regulatory environment. Commitment of a minimum of 40 hours per week is required. Due to the nature of the Alliance’s work, it is understood that additional hours may be required and that some flexibility in daily hours may be required. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Who We Are:
Our mission at The Alliance for Affordable Energy is to safeguard Louisiana’s future by protecting consumers’ right to affordable, equitable, and environmentally responsible energy systems. Our vision is a future where energy works for everyone.
Founded in 1985, the Alliance has advanced a philosophy that there is no conflict between lower energy costs and lower pollution, between good jobs and regulation, or between serving the public interest and making a reasonable profit. Because we are both a consumer advocate and public health advocacy organization, our policy work meets at the crossroads of social justice, sustainable economic development, and environmental protection.
AAE adheres to the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing and The Principles of Environmental Justice (EJ)
Responsibilities and Duties
The Alliance has three program areas: Consumer Protection, Energy Efficiency, and Clean Energy and this position will be part of the Regulatory team.
- Track and monitor utility regulatory dockets and key legislation on issues directly pertaining to the organization’s mission
- Draft content for filings in utility regulatory dockets with subject matter experts
- Research successful models of responsible energy policy
- Participate in monitoring electric and gas regulatory issues and consumer advocacy on energy issues and environmental protection
- Educate seated New Orleans City Council members and cultivate greater civic engagement in Orleans Parish
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Alliance’s work, representing the organization and its constituents in meetings with government agencies, officials, advisory committees, the press and other public forums
- Manage and develop key stakeholder relationships
- Organize and attend coalition meetings
- Initiate, develop and maintain partnerships with other organizations and groups
- Develop written support materials about Alliance positions on energy policy and other issues of interest to consumers
- Participate in Alliance strategic and organizational planning along with board and staff
- Inform the board about the Alliance’s programs
- Maintain files and database related to program responsibilities
- Create original content for the Alliance website, e-newsletter, and blog
- Assist Executive Director in developing annual project budgets
Maintain clear and consistent organizational messaging
- Develop familiarity with the history of the Alliance’s issues, events and relationships using interviews, research of files, archives and news reports, etc.
- Maintain and cultivate connection with established membership and constituency, including advisory committee and active volunteers.
- Work with interns and other volunteer staff
- Assist the Executive Director with fundraising including donor relationships, grant writing, and events
- Grant reporting as needed
- Passion for progressive energy solutions and climate action
- Excellent oral and written communication and research skills.
- Critical thinking and analysis skills
- Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Knowledge of energy policy matters and environmental issues
- Experience in developing, executing, and managing program plans
- Ability to work with diverse communities and professionals
- Ability to establish priorities and organize work
- Ability to work effectively within budget, while leveraging partnerships and volunteers to maximize impact
- Skill in use of computers, commonly used office software, internet, etc.
- B.A. required, M.A. preferred
- Experience in community organizing, including online organizing
- Experience working with elected and appointed government leaders
- Open and flexible personality
- Social media experience
- Skill in management and supervision
- Experience in and/or understanding of city, state, and national energy regulation
This position is associated with grant support and is funded through at least December 2022. Compensation based on experience, starting from $65,000 annually, plus 100% covered health insurance and 401K matching benefits. Generous vacation and flexible working schedule. Work-from-home due to COVID-19 expected through most of 2021.
Apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/...manager-329e79ca05b4298e