New Markets Analyst
Posted Jun 19
Founded in 2009, Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company focused on bringing utility-scale generation facilities to market, from site origination and financing to turnkey construction and long-term asset management. With a team of over 200 professionals and the nation’s largest wind energy project portfolio, Apex is a leader in the transition to a clean energy future. For more information, visit www.apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking a self-motivated, renewable energy market analyst with strong knowledge of renewable energy markets, policies, and technologies to join our team as a New Markets Analyst. In this role you will utilize exceptional excel-based modeling skills, quantitative analysis, policy analysis, research and writing skills, and your understanding of renewable energy markets and policies to support us in shaping and growing our renewable energy portfolio. This position reports directly to the EVP of New Markets and represents an opportunity for exposure to a wide range of topics and stakeholders active in shaping and growing the renewable energy industry. The position requires superior cross-functional skills with responsibilities focused on quantitative market and financial analysis, policy research, analysis and writing.
The successful candidate will have at least two, and ideally three to six years’, related experience and have a demonstrated passion for renewable energy. In addition, this person will have an interest in, and ability to, undertake the wide range of research, analytic and writing tasks necessary to meet the strategic entrepreneurial needs of our organization. Our ideal candidate will have experience with data and spatial analysis tools such as Tableau and Arc GIS. We seek an action-oriented, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. This New Markets Analyst position requires excellent communication and writing skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and the flexibility to shift priorities on the go.
• Establishing, implementing and managing companywide modeling by which to rank, track and predict US regional, state and utility renewable market supply and demand as a means to establish strategic market relevant pipeline goals and business plans.
• Tracking, evaluating and comparing key public and private industry market and policy analysis (AWEA, SIA, Bloomberg, S&P Financial, EIA, etc.)
• Performing detailed research and analysis as well as presenting on key market drivers and demand
• Managing monthly internal market discussions
• Management of third-party data analytic providers
• Creating detailed and rigorous spreadsheet models of renewable energy markets, projects, and policies.
• Developing strong relationships with industry participants that increase the quality and efficiency of work.
• At least 2 years of experience in energy analysis, policy, marketing, trading, finance, or power plant development.
• Experience in the electricity industry, either public-, private- or non-profit sector.
• Demonstrated familiarity and experience with renewable energy issues and policies
• A demonstrated interest in, and commitment to, electricity markets and renewable energy.
• Demonstrated performance as a team player.
• Excel based VBA or programing skills adaptable to Excel based VBA.
• Detailed knowledge or experience with at least one of the ISO-NE, MISO, NYISO & PJM wholesale electricity and capacity markets.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to manage and track multiple detailed projects simultaneously and complete tasks efficiently.
• Must be an efficient, inquisitive and skilled researcher, adept at mining a variety of resources (online, phone and otherwise) for information and identifying and summarizing the important concepts in material reviewed.
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Above average competence with MS Word, PowerPoint required
• Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Commitment to documenting work and sources for ease of use by others.
• A motivated self-starter; must work productively and efficiently both in a team environment and individually under intermittent supervision;
• Must be interested in taking on new and potentially unfamiliar topics; the successful candidate will demonstrate a history of taking on increasing responsibilities.
• Must be willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
• A masters’ degree in a related discipline
• Three to eight years of directly related experience
• Completed basic wholesale market training in one of the northeast Regional Transmission Organizations
• Renewable energy transaction financing
• Report, research, writing and presentation
• GIS or web site design and programming experience
• Data visualization tools, such as Power BI and Tableau
• Electric transmission, offshore wind or solar industry experience