East Bay Community Energy (EBCE) is the community choice aggregator serving Alameda County and eleven of its cities under a Joint Powers Agreement. EBCE serves 600,000 customer accounts and over 1.5 million Alameda County residents. EBCE’s charter is to provide its customers with low carbon and cost-effective electricity that integrates innovative
energy products and maximizes local benefits through the development of local solutions, ranging from increasing access to rooftop solar to supporting the adoption of electric vehicles.
We are seeking a candidate with solid energy analytics and modeling expertise to lead the development and maintenance of key operational energy models. The ideal candidate will bring a mix of energy modeling experience, technical acumen, and a desire to innovate and transform the energy industry.
The Modeler-in-Chief will have the following specific responsibilities:
● Create and maintain various supply and demand-side models to support key forecasting, procurement and programmatic initiatives.
● Lead and support internal analysis and modeling of innovative rate design for new EBCE offerings or new program offerings.
● Lead and support internal analysis and modeling of electrification, electric vehicle adoption, distributed energy resources adoption and integration, and energy efficiency and demand response penetration.
● Lead and support analysis on integrated resource planning activities.
● Provide internal technical analyses to assess impact of programs and policies on EBCE’s operations.
● Provide technical support to develop templates and reporting requirements as needed.
● Provide internal strategy and analytic support on EBCE local program design, development, and monitoring.
● Analyze EBCE data sources to evaluate opportunities to develop effective customer programs.
● Identify and manage key technical consultants in support of strategic objectives, including providing relevant technical regulatory analysis, reviewing witness testimony, and preparing witnesses for evidentiary hearings.
● Participate in regulatory proceedings on behalf of EBCE and evaluate proposed regulatory policies at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), California Independent System Operator (CAISO), and other state agencies, to assess the impact on EBCE.
● Provide technical and/or analytic input on regulatory matters; participate as a witness in administrative hearings; provide input into legislative policy at the state and local levels.
● Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible and relevant work experience, to include at least five years in energy and/or environment or in a closely related field in an analytical regulatory, strategy, or related business function;
● Strong technical analytic skills:
○ Expert proficiency in Excel Modeling
○ Basic SQL skills required; advanced preferred
○ Basic programming skills desired
○ General understanding of basic Data Science Methods & Approaches
● Deep knowledge of utility ratemaking design and/or energy program design, energy markets and energy products;
● Strong written and oral communications skills;
● Experience in representing your organization and partnering with external stakeholders;
● Experience managing technical products and people;
● Team player, effective and organized project manager and leader, ability to question and impact group consensus, ability to prioritize, be nimble, and self-directed in a highly fluid and rapidly changing environment;
● Passion for contributing to the success of community choice aggregation in California;
● Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position.
Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The position requires near and far vision in reading reports and use of a computer. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 20 pounds. EBCE will make reasonable accommodation of the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified application with a disability upon request.
Initially this will be an ‘individual contributor position, though it may evolve to include staff managerial responsibilities. The Modeler-in-Chief will however be expected to supervise external contractors.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver’s license or the ability to provide alternate transportation as approved by the CEO and a safe driving record.
Submission Requirements: Applicants must submit a cover letter outlining key qualifications and reasons for your interest, current resume including education, writing sample if applicable, and 3 professional references. Please email these documents and any questions to: email@example.com
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.