CALSTART has an immediate opening for a highly-motivated person to join our team as a Marketing and Outreach Project Manager. The ideal candidate will play an important role in supporting high impact clean transportation projects by overseeing the development and implementation of strategic marketing and outreach activities for the California Air Resources Board Hybrid and Zero-Emission Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Program (HVIP). HVIP provides incentives to California fleets who purchase clean trucks and buses. HVIP is funded by the California Air Resources Board and administered by CALSTART. In this role, the Marketing and Outreach Project Manager will be responsible for industry engagement, marketing campaigns, communication development, and community outreach. The position will be based in the CALSTART solar-powered headquarters in Pasadena, California.
CALSTART‘s mission is to improve air quality, combat climate change, strengthen the economy, and create jobs by growing the clean transportation technology industry. With more than 25 years of experience, CALSTART is recognized nationally and internationally as an effective industry catalyst organization. CALSTART’s member companies are diverse and include Tesla Motors, UPS, Ford, the Union of Concerned Scientists, Kenworth, General Motors, Southern California Gas and Southern California Edison. CALSTART focuses its work in four major initiatives: cars, buses, trucks (including non-road vehicles), and fuels. CALSTART advances each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving valued-added services to its member organizations. CALSTART is a national organization with multiple offices in several states. We believe now is our time and we are planning for growth. If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work for CALSTART.
The ideal candidate must have excellent communication and outreach skills and experience in developing and executing marketing strategies that inform targeted audiences, support meaningful engagement and result in successful program participation. The candidate will have strong interpersonal, written and spoken communication skills; experience in leading innovative educational and marketing programs; exceptional leadership in partnership development and team management; solid understanding of and experience with multimedia use for effective outreach; and proven track record of facilitating successful marketing and outreach campaigns and events.
CALSTART seeks a team member with a passion for the organization’s mission and for making a difference, who can anticipate and fulfill project partner needs, and supports an environment that promotes inclusiveness and team-building. Successful candidates must have a positive “can do” attitude and to learn and grow, and strive for excellence.
He or she will have the necessary skills to develop and implement a marketing and outreach strategy for HVIP and must be able to perform the following tasks with strong competency:
• Lead development of marketing and outreach program to increase awareness, create HVIP brand recognition, collaborate with public and private partners on strategic outreach, facilitate multiple methods for industry engagement, conduct community outreach, and increase program participation through targeted fleet and dealership outreach;
• Work with HVIP team to develop customized programs and strategies for various market segments for program participation;
• Oversee the planning and execution of industry engagement and outreach events and workshops including content development; manufacturer, dealer and fleet participation; promotional material development; logistics; sponsorship; vendor displays; and ride and drive events;
• Develop a state campaign with multiple stakeholders to conduct community outreach in disadvantaged communities, evaluate key community partners, identify community needs, develop targeted outreach materials, and engage local champions to support fleet participation;
• Manage program communication development and key messaging including development of print collateral, including fact sheets, brochures, case studies, and pop-up banners; website content management; and ongoing information sharing through social media;
• Build relationships and partnerships with participating manufacturers and dealerships to support program participation including development of marketing materials to support OEM and dealership marketing activities and collaboration in outreach events;
• Oversee all press activities and program announcements by coordinating with key partners on press release development and publicity events;
• Coordinate with HVIP outreach team to participate, present and exhibit at events;
• Develop and manage HVIP calendar of events, select and prioritize participation in key industry events, and regularly update HVIP website to report on event participation and upcoming outreach activities; and
• Develop and maintain a robust network and contact database of stakeholders including fleets, dealerships, industry associations, utilities, municipalities, air districts, community-based organizations, environmental organizations, and others.
Necessary Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree (preferably in Marketing, Advertising Communications, Journalism and/or Business Management) and at least 3 to 5 years of professional experience in education and outreach programs, marketing and campaign development, industry/business engagement, community outreach, content and collateral development, event planning, social media and website development/management. The candidate should have existing knowledge of and experience with environmental and energy issues and the transportation industry.
The candidate must have a high degree of proficiency in written and oral communications and must have the capability of presenting to and working with diverse stakeholder groups. The candidate must work well in a team environment, display personal initiative and be driven by a passion for the clean transportation industry. It is essential that the candidate be well organized and have strong project management capabilities. The candidate should be proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of applications, with a high degree of competence in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher. The candidate must also be able to demonstrate initiative, independently manage time, and multi-task in a deadline-oriented environment. A strong attention to detail will be required.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience.
• Demonstrated experience in developing effective marketing strategies supporting a variety of methodologies (direct interpersonal outreach, print collateral & promotional communications, online communications via website, e-blast and webinars, etc.);
• Proven track record of developing and building responsive HTML emails with persuasive and informational content to appeal to multiple stakeholders;
• Ability to lead social media campaigns and content for Twitter and LinkedIn;
• Proven ability to manage relationships with key trade associations, industry and non-profit organizations;
• Proven track record and high proficiency in project management across various stages of project development and implementation (initiating, planning, execution, monitoring and completion);
• Understanding of or interest in clean transportation, energy efficiency and sustainability;
• Demonstrated development of strategic marketing, education and outreach plans.
• Experience of marketing and conducting outreach to low income and disadvantaged communities;
• Ability to think ahead, propose new ideas, take active steps in addressing challenges, and implementing new strategies/approaches to adapt to new/changing priorities;
• Ability to engage and communicate tactfully and persuasively with a variety of stakeholders through oral and written communication methods;
• Must be extremely detailed oriented and perform within project deadlines; and
• Ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks, and work in a fast pace business environment.
Additional Skills and Use of Tools
The following skills and knowledge of are highly preferred or would open additional opportunities. They will be viewed favorably and will provide an advantage:
• Experience with Eloqua, Marketo, Pardot, Exact Target, and other similar email tools;
• Experience with Google Analytics and AdWords;
• Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
Compensation and Benefits
CALSTART offers a strong compensation package. In addition to a competitive salary, CALSTART currently offers employees a company-paid HMO health plan including dental and vision care. The compensation plan also includes a retirement plan equivalent to 8 percent of the annual salary. CALSTART allows for flexible work hours as appropriate, and provides funding for transit. The organization also has a strong interest in employee growth and skills development.
How to Apply
Applicants should send their responses in email form only and must include a cover letter explaining why they should be considered for this position and a resume.
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. As such, CALSTART offers equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. These opportunities include all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, job placement, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, advancement, and termination. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.