The Innovation Center for U.S Dairy® (Innovation Center) was established in 2008 under the leadership of America’s dairy farmers through Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI), the nonprofit organization that manages the producer checkoff program. It provides a forum for dairy companies to work pre-competitively to address barriers to and opportunities for innovation and sales growth. The Innovation Center aligns the collective resources of the industry to offer consumers nutritious dairy products and ingredients, and to promote the health of people, communities, the planet and the industry.
The U.S. Dairy Stewardship Commitment (Commitment) provides a unified voice to demonstrate U.S. dairy’s long-standing values of social responsibility and environmental stewardship and represents an ongoing philosophy of continuous improvement through a transparent, multi-stakeholder, and pre-competitive process. It defines indicators (what is measured) and metrics (how they are measured) that empower the dairy community to set baselines, document progress, and demonstrate impact. Through the Dairy Sustainability Alliance®, a national initiative for stakeholder engagement, it allows customers, nonprofits, scientific experts, and other key influencers to work directly with farmers, cooperatives, and processors on continuous improvement and reporting that provides both credibility and value to the U.S. industry and endorsement and support in the global marketplace.
The manager, sustainability measurement and reporting, will support the vice president, sustainability measurement and reporting to position the Commitment as a gold standard to demonstrate positive impact. The goal is to ensure industry value and scale adoption, obtain customer endorsement and support, and advance alignment with sustainable sourcing assessments and peer initiatives. To accomplish this, the manager will work closely within the industry, across the broader Dairy Sustainability Alliance, and with key external influencers. Through these collaborative efforts, the manager will play an essential role in positioning the Stewardship Commitment as the definitive sustainability platform and primary resource for stakeholders to clearly understand the priorities, progress, and leadership of the U.S. dairy community.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Benchmark, analyze and maintain knowledge of needs and opportunities for increased alignment with recognized sustainability protocols, assessments, and peer initiatives.
• Develop supplementary resources that advance Commitment adoption, credibility, and reporting (e.g. guidance materials, website messaging, and case studies)
• Facilitate stakeholder comment and review periods to obtain feedback on proposed Commitment metrics
• Support the collaborative efforts of the Sustainability Alliance Processor Working Group. Maintain Commitment-focused processor resources (e.g. the Dairy Processor Handbook) and support processor-led initiatives to advance Commitment implementation.
• Support collaborative efforts with organizations such as the National Milk FARM Program, the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA), Field to Market®, the Dairy Sustainability Framework (DSF), and the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative (SAI Platform).
• Contribute towards planning and preparation for Innovation Center-hosted events, particularly the Dairy Sustainability Forum and Sustainable Agriculture Summit.
• Serve as key resource in development of the biannual U.S. Dairy Sustainability Report.
• Inform and support data collection efforts for aggregate industry reporting and tracking progress towards goals
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong and demonstrated project management skills pertaining to sustainability measurement, reporting, and communications
• Clear understanding of sustainability measurement, metrics, and protocols, including CDP (Scope 1, 2, and 3); the Science Based Target initiative; Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines; agriculture or industry certification programs; and Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs)
• Knowledge of consumer and marketplace trends driving interest in sustainable agriculture
• Exceptional writing and analytical skills
• Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment
• Ability to synthesize, clarify, and simplify abstract and complex topics
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, adaptable to a wide range of audiences
EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION
· A minimum of 5 years of experience (or minimum 3 years of experience plus an advanced degree), in sustainability-focused roles such as CSR reporting, procurement, consulting, standard/certification oversight, public/private partnerships, or other relevant project and program management functions
· Experience advancing collaboration across a diversity of functions and sectors. Supply chain-specific experience strongly preferred
· Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree in a relevant field preferred (e.g. Business, Agriculture, Sustainability, Environmental Studies)
· Project management experience with a demonstrated ability to successfully lead complex projects
· Food/Agriculture-focused experience strongly preferred. Dairy experience a bonus
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O’Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s nearly 41000 dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements. Thank you.
Dairy Management Inc.™ is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz