Manager, Company Network
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
The Ceres Company Network comprises more than 50 leading U.S. companies setting the highest bar for sustainability leadership, committing to robust sustainability goals, and improving resiliency in their operations and supply chains. Ceres enjoys a unique, direct advocacy relationship with Network members, leveraging the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability—our strategic vision and practical framework for sustainable corporations in the 21st century—as well as access to investors and other advocacy organizations to move companies to make environmental, social and governance considerations integral to their core business strategies.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Company Network seeks a Manager with strong subject matter foundation and a passion for driving improvement in corporate sustainability performance to help lead our engagements with over a dozen financial services companies, including the world’s largest banks. The successful applicant will have content knowledge encompassing environmental, social, and governance issues, such as those related to company supply chains, products, employees and environmental issues beyond climate and energy, with financial services sector subject matter expertise preferred. The Manager will be part of a 14-person team working with companies to integrate sustainability into core business strategies, using the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office, and will report to a Director of the Company Network.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Manage, or support the management of, relationships involving Company Network member companies, Ceres Non-profit Network organizations, and prospective Network companies or organizations, with a focus on the financial services sector.
• Assess performance and provide expert guidance on the sustainable business strategies of member companies and topics including climate and energy, water, labor and human rights, and sustainable supply chains, among others.
• Plan, coordinate, and facilitate ongoing dialogues that bring investors and representatives of environmental, social and other public interest groups together with Network member companies for the purpose of advancing company performance relative to the Ceres Roadmap expectations.
• Advocate to companies within and beyond the Company Network positions aligned with Ceres’ organizational goals.
• Conceptualize, organize and lead, as appropriate, issue-specific projects with defined outcomes that could include the participation of one or more companies from one or more sectors.
• Prepare and deliver, either as a written document or in presentation form, comprehensive, well-organized analyses of Network member, as well as non-member, companies’ sustainability performance relative to the Ceres Roadmap expectations.
• Contribute to tracking, for internal and external purposes, the impact of the Company Network team’s engagement with member companies.
• Design and implement communication strategies to deliver information about Ceres’ programs and sustainability priorities to defined audiences using a variety of platforms (e.g. workshops, webinars, social media).
• Develop briefings or presentations for members of the Ceres leadership team in support of their engagement with companies, investors or other external audiences.
• In collaboration with the Development team, contribute to the preparation of proposals to fund project work.
• Assist in the planning of the annual Ceres Conference program and other events.
• Engage with and support other program teams (such as the Investor Network, Communications and Marketing, and Development) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
• Bachelor degree, required. Master degree in business, environment, law or public policy or related field preferred.
• Five years or more of direct experience working on sustainability and corporate responsibility issues in the corporate, investor, or non-profit sectors.
• Strong working knowledge of the environmental and social issues that large corporations face in their boardrooms, operations and supply chains.
• Familiarity with corporate disclosure frameworks, the socially responsible investment community, and the environmental and sustainability movements in general.
• Financial services sector experience (either working in or engaging with) and/or in-depth understanding strongly preferred.
• Primary experience in the North American context is strongly preferred, though an understanding of the broader international context of sustainability is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to bring an advocacy perspective to both analysis and corporate engagement and to make clear recommendations for solutions-focused actions.
• Demonstrated strong project management skills, including an ability to manage multiple, complex projects that often have competing deadlines, and to deliver projects on time and within budget.
• Excellent attention to detail is required.
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including an effective presentation style.
• Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrable initiative and willingness to take on projects that support the success of the team and Ceres.
• Experience coordinating or facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues.
• Ability to move seamlessly between collaborative, team-driven activities and independent projects.
• Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis and to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
• Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
• Familiarity with Salesforce, a plus.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres strives to have a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on GreenBiz